Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM   #1
Ronnie Kon

How to keep car looking nice and tracking it?

I've picked up a used 996 that looks very nice. I'd like to keep it that way, but also track it.

Is this an oxymoron?

What do people generally use to keep Porsches looking nice after tracking? A bra? Mirror bras? And how do you attach numbers to your car?

I've never tracked a car before; I'm thinking about starting with the June 29-30 TracQuest at Thunderhill. Anybody have any reasons that this wouldn't be a good idea?

Thanks.

/Ronnie
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:47 AM   #2
mooty

Re: How to keep car looking nice and tracking it?

bar will "flap" around at hi speed, try elephant racing's mag bra or use 3M's vinly clear bra. i dont' use anything, and only see min. chip. use racer's tape for wheel fenders. lots' of wax on paint so debris don't stick. also ask kevin c. for advice as he tracks his BoxS lots. i will be at TH with tracquest as well, see you there.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM   #3
Bill Dally

Re: How to keep car looking nice and tracking it?

The most important thing is to keep your car on the track, or as Hank Watts says, "the track should be more than just a guide." At the very least leaving the track spinning will get your car *very* dirty. At the worst ...

If you stay on the track the biggest worry is paint chips from gravel flying off of people's sticky tires. Tracquest events in the lower groups aren't so bad because many people run street tires which don't pick up gravel as much. If you can, try not to follow people too closely - although ultimately you do need to pass slower cars.

I run a Colgan Bra on my Boxster S and it works well with no flapping. I tape where it attaches to the front wheel well with racers tape. I don't use mirror bras and haven't gotten any chips on my mirrors (yet).

At two of the PCA time trials this year it was raining and so I ran without the bra. I now have several chips in my front bumper cover from these events.

After a typical track day I find a lot of black marks on the car from rubber that has flown off of people's sticky tires. These marks buff off easily with strong soap.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:27 PM   #4
Chatter Box

Look me up if you go.

I'll be there in a black S with 888 on the doors. My name is Scott.

BTW, there are a lot of tricks some people do. You can put tape around the fenders, install a bra, use stone guard, etc. The most important thing is just keep your car on track and off the other cars. The rest is of the day is easier on your car than the trip up to Willows. I5 is a haven for grasshoppers and you should bring lots of windex and towels. Plan a good wash/wax day for after the event, too. I live in an apartment and have no access to outdoor water so my paint is just aweful. You should have bought my car, you wouldn't be worrying about it. Hope to see you there.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:23 PM   #5
RobynC

Nice coat of wax

When I first started DE'ing, I used a bra, too much trouble and it flapped at high speeds. So, now I use Racers tape on the fenders and just go for it. My car looks still, very, very clean. Of course, I wax it once a month and wash her every three days. It really depends on how much you want to spend on your car. But, yes, I believe it is possible to keep your car looking good while enjoying time on the track.

Robyn

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.