Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 1st, 2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Terry

Time for new brake pads - Recommendations?

This past weekend I completed my annual maintenance routine of putting the car up on jacks, changing the oil, inspecting the CV joints, hoses, lines etc., and removing the wheels for cleaning, waxing, inspection. I noticed my brake pads are beginning to look a little thin, so itís time to plan replacements. I will be doing the work myself (see links below) and was wondering what would be my best pad option:
Hawk - HPS
Mintex - SBF
Axxis - PBR
Textar - ??
Pagid - S Type
EBC - Yellow Stuff "R"
Others??
I have used Axxis metal masters on my previous BMW and hated them, changed over to Pagids, which were fabulous, but very dusty. My car is a 2001 Boxster that is mostly my commuter car (daily driver). Since I don't track the car and often don't get a chance to warm up the brakes, I'm looking for something with good initial bite, and hopefully something with lower dust than the stock pads. Honestly, the stock pads are not that bad at dusting compared to the Pagids I had on the BMW or the stock pads on my wife's 2006 C230 sport - - - but since it's time to replace these, just asking for it all!

Here are the linkds to the brake pad instructions I'll be using:
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster...s/change_pads/
http://www.heumann.com/bigred/
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM   #2
WC13

I have not yet tried these, but unless I hear negative responses from anyone who has, I plan to put them on in the spring (the track season is done here and with some life left on the current pads I can't justify the need until the thaw).

The BHP XPS look like they have good cold bite and good fade resistance.

http://bhpbrakes.com/
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:31 AM   #3
arenared

For the street, I like Mintex Red Box for a pretty linear, low friction compound. For the street, I also like EBC Green Stuff which are a medium friction compound with less dusting than Mintex Red Box, but a little squealing. EBC Red Ceramics are also nice on the street but like a little heat in them (still less than stock pads). The Red Ceramics have a little more squealing, but almost no dusting and seem to take a fair amount of abuse. They would probably take some track work as well. I would not use the Mintex Red Box on the track/REALLY aggressive driving. All above are better than OEM IMHO. IIRC, the Yellow Stuff are more of an endurance pad and might require more heat in them to work. I agree the Metal Masters are garbage. I think the high-metal content pads are obsolete. I like the newer crops of hybrid/ceramic/kevlar/etc. I assume yours is not an S.
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Terry

Thanks for the recommendations so far

I'd forgotten about the BHP's, but they look like a good pad.

My car is a Non-S. I'd forgot to mention the noise part, but I am sesnsitve to that and would prefer something that is not louder than the stock pads.

Until these recommendations, I was leaning towards the Hawks - - - any one using this yet that can comment?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Docdanracy

PBR or Mintex....good street pads...low dust...not that expensive
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman