Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Car Talk For topics and discussions about all makes and models

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1
weez

did I buy a lemon?

Just bought my first porsche- a used 99 boxster. The specs: 48,000mi, only one previous owner, car fax revealed it was stolen when it had 2000 miles, all parts that were stolen were replaced with porsche parts-supposedly. Body and interior in good condition. Before purchasing I had a mechanic check over the vehicle and there was no indication of any problems or damage. So I went ahead and purchased the vehicle and since then I have driven the car approximately 200mi and started to have the following problems: Problem 1: the air bag dash indicator light now stays on- continuously during driving (is this a maintence indictor or a real problem?. Problem 2: Unable to lock the car with* remote key or interior rocker switch. Able to lock the driver side door manually, but not the passenger door.Additional info: like i mentioned first time buyer, so have please have sympathy.....I failed to check the operation of the convertible top. I am deducing that (b/c the rocker switch does NOT work at all, doesn't even show up in the indicator dash panel) the motor burned out-? So instead of replacing the motor, the dealer installed (and it looks like it was recently installed too) a toggle switch below the steering wheel that only operates the cover to the convertible top. I must then manually raise the hood and latch it myself. Also, one more bit of info: I have noticed a musty smell to the car. I am starting to wonder....why I bought this car!!!
weez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #2
bigb

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
Just bought my first porsche- a used 99 boxster. The specs: 48,000mi, only one previous owner, car fax revealed it was stolen when it had 2000 miles, all parts that were stolen were replaced with porsche parts-supposedly. Body and interior in good condition. Before purchasing I had a mechanic check over the vehicle and there was no indication of any problems or damage. So I went ahead and purchased the vehicle and since then I have driven the car approximately 200mi and started to have the following problems: Problem 1: the air bag dash indicator light now stays on- continuously during driving (is this a maintence indictor or a real problem?. Problem 2: Unable to lock the car with* remote key or interior rocker switch. Able to lock the driver side door manually, but not the passenger door.Additional info: like i mentioned first time buyer, so have please have sympathy.....I failed to check the operation of the convertible top. I am deducing that (b/c the rocker switch does NOT work at all, doesn't even show up in the indicator dash panel) the motor burned out-? So instead of replacing the motor, the dealer installed (and it looks like it was recently installed too) a toggle switch below the steering wheel that only operates the cover to the convertible top. I must then manually raise the hood and latch it myself. Also, one more bit of info: I have noticed a musty smell to the car. I am starting to wonder....why I bought this car!!!
Hmm, where do I begin? First, it would be great to mark your location (if you are local to the bay area, perhaps one of the babblers could help check out your car for you). For the pre-purchase inspection, did you go to a mechanic who was familiar with porsches? (Based on the description of the problems you are having, that does not appear to be the case).

Do you have the option of taking the car back to the dealer who sold it to you? The toggle switch you are talking about (and the associated manually operated top) is highly unusual, to say the least. Also, the mechanic who inspected the car for you needed to point this out.

The airbag dash light can be due to a malfunction, or simply come on when some maintenance work was done (e.g., seat removal without disconnecting the battery). Regarding the door locks, were you able to lock/unlock them remotely (and using the in-car button) when you bought the car? And that the problem appeared after you had driven the car for a while? I don't have an answer, but clarifying this will hopefully help one of the genius's on the board diagnose it for you.

Good luck!
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Docdanracy

Unhappy

Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Grantsfo

SOunds like a flood victim car as well.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #5
JMMCFP

The airbag light staying on could be related to your seatbelt. Ha dto have mine replaced in order for the light to go out. Not the seatbelt itself, rather the receptor on the right side of your seat. Musty smell could be the pollen filter needing to be replaced.

Doesn't sound like your pre-purchase inspection was done by a competent mechanic...Nothing that can't be fixed, tho'!! Remember, people don't normally sell a car that they love...unless upgrading to a newer/better model.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantsfo View Post
SOunds like a flood victim car as well.
Maybe... OR it could be the car just has mold bacteria in the ventilation system and he's running climate control with the air conditioner engaged... which switches it on and off--great way to get musty.

Easy and cheap fix, too.

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #7
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

As mentioned, the seatbelt /airbag light is pretty common. I also have a '99 and strangely enough, also stolen and recovered.

As far as the musty smell, move the seats forward and see if the carpet below the seat is wet. This can be caused by clogged drains in the clam shell area. If there is water, this can also damage the alarm/locking control unit under the driver's seat.

My remote key stopped working suddenly and all the tricks I've been told didn't solve the problem. The lock togggle button on the dash does work however.

Good luck
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #8
bapcha

>Remember, people don't normally sell a car that they love...unless upgrading to a >newer/better model.

Not necessarily true in this economy. I saw a 996TT with PCCB and X51 and 40Kmiles left
of its CPO warranty LISTED for $55K.
bapcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #9
cas951

Wow. Was this an 02 or 03 model? If so I would have jumped on this. I almost bought a 2001 with 55k miles when they first reached the 49k range 2 years ago.
Some modifications

The rest of the stable:
2001 Lexus ES 300
2003 Chrysler Town & Country
1991 Honda CRX
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk