Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Car Talk For topics and discussions about all makes and models

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Blubox03

Question Get laid or great performance?

I ran into a co-worker who I don't see very often who happens to own a Porsche Carrera 2006ish. I asked him if he would like to join us at the next autocross in our area or if he would like to come with us to the track this Thursday. He said "I don't want to wear out my back tires". (and was serious), I almost puched him in the face. He is a younger Doctor at our hospital and seems to have bought the car pretty much to help him get laid or to say I OWN A PORSCHE to the young ladies at the bar. I guess my poll question is - Why did you buy a porsche?

1. Help you get laid?
2. Performance/autocrossing/track use?
3. Looks alone?

I look forward to reading your responses

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blubox03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Docdanracy

unfortunately, many of the newer owners buy the car because it says Porsche on the hood and gets them looks from passersby, be they male or female.

In my neck of the woods, we have seen a major change in the age and degree of competitive spirit of the Porsche owners of late.

I think the the Porsche mark has become more of a status symbol and less of a performance car in the eyes of the newer purchasers.

Nuevo riche..............
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM   #3
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubox03 View Post

1. Help you get laid?
2. Performance/autocrossing/track use?
3. Looks alone?
You forgot 4. Cuz you've been a Porsche-phile your ENTIRE life and had to own one.

I got mine for all 4 reasons, not necessarily in that order . hahaha

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #4
mcluucy

Already married. So only #2,3,4 apply for me. :-)
mcluucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:03 AM   #5
Gerry

when I was at the dealership, it was the # 1 but reality sink in..

so, in particular order...#3 is the main reason, #2 PCA drag me into it & #4 still in the making

PCA/G.G.R. Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09/4hbv4mc.jpg
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Paralizer

Number 2 by a huuuuuuuge margin was first. Number 3 also played into it. As for #1, just a very nice side benefit.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Mdreiver

To be fair, it sounds to me like he made the classic mistake of overstepping his means. He could be caught in the housing crunch, gas is likely twice what it was when he bought the car and he might have already gone into it with an inadvisably high payment. Don't forget, doctors usually leave med school with $100k in loans and have to spend 3 years as an intern.

If he's in a lease or upside down in the car, he might wish he could unload it but be unable to. Saving costs on rubber might just be a cold fact of life for one of the many people suffering right now.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM   #8
bapcha

I bought a Boxster in 2005 because:
a. My wife let me buy one since.....
b. I celebrated 10 years cancer-free and.....
c. I turned one year short of 40.

Bapcha
bapcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Grantsfo

I traded my 914 for a Boxster because I wanted the status of a newer Porsche. I was getting tired of wearing my tires out with the 914 at AX events and really I wasnt getting much respect when I would pull up to a group of Porschephiles in my halfbreed 914. Now I just spend countless hours cruzing the malls in my Boxster with my Porsche design sun glasses.

Its a nice change having a car that improves my image. I also like my 6 CD player in my Boxster so I can play jamming tunes. Leave the racing to people in NASCAR. A newer Porsche is all about status baby - why ruin it with dirty and dusty AX event?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM   #10
KenJ

Grant.... since I know you (a little) I can say, 'what a load of crap'. Do you enjoy intentionally misleading people? You're going to modify that car and whip us all again - only this time with the Boxster!

cheers,

kj
'73 911 E, #44, GGR AX 11
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk