Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 1st, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Sly Cyr

Question Boxster S or Carrera Cabriolet for 50 000$??

I need your advice!

Should I buy a newer Boxster S (~06) or a older 911 Carrera Cabriolet (~03)?? I have a budget of 50K$

Thank you very much!

Sly Cyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:45 PM   #2
boxs2000

I feel sorry for you, life is so rough! : ) You should drive both cars and see which you like better. Having a boxster s and 2 little boys, I often wish I had the back seats, but then again, I remembered why I got this car. My Porsche is my car only. My wife does not drive it (unless I have had too much to drink) IT IS MY TOY and stress release. (we have a Honda Odessey and Lexus LS430) so the family has plenty of choices. My Porsche is MINE so go with what you like if it is for that purpose (sorry if this makes me sound selfish, but my wife understands). Keep in mind uneducated people will sometimes say that the Boxster is a "girls Porsche or not a real Porsche", obviously these words do not bother me because they have never driven one etc and anyone in this forum will certainly vouch that a Boxster is a real Porsche and personally, I like the way it handles vs a rear engine Carrera.(not trying to put down the Carrera) and finally, I love to play golf and the Boxster has a trunk that will fit my clubs easily and not worry about getting grass/dirt in the interior.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #3
napaboxster

Couldn't have said it better myself! And the gas mileage is a plus too!!
napaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM   #4
drwdds

Would LOVE to see a pic of your golf clubs in the trunk...mine have to go in the front seat!
drwdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Mdreiver

I think the trick is to take them out of the bag. I don't golf but I know many people who say they can fit them in the trunk.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Mdreiver

Not to be difficult, but I need more choices.

I think it would be a shame to buy an 06 S since the 07 is a 3.4L. I understand that a brand new 07 is not (yet) in your budget, but then you might as well save a bit and get an 05 which is the same car as the 06. Maybe it's a hangup that we don't share, but I hate the idea of getting the year right before an upgrade.

I can't really pick between a 996Cab and a Boxster for you though. The choice is easy to me and it isn't to you so my perspective must not be relevant to you. The perspective I'm talking about is that I really really don't like 996s of any kind. The one positive thing I can say about a 996 is that they will really hold their value more than a Boxster of any type. Especially by buying an older one, it might not drop in value very much at all over 4 years or so.

I suspect that one day you will be making a decision similar to this but with newer models. Maybe you'll want an 07 or 08 S versus a 997 Cab. Since you'll then be comparing two very handsome cars (hehe), the decision will have to be solved by driving both and seeing which one you like more.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:03 AM   #7
WC13

You have to take the woods out of the bag and lay them on top after you put the bag in the trunk. However, I do not have a large bag with a stand so I cannot speak to that, but it appears there would be enough room. I will try to get a pic posted this evening.
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM   #8
z-man

My 2 c

Boxster is unequaled when it comes to mountain roads, and 911 is well 911. If you want a straight shooter then 911 is your choice but if you want more grip get the Boxster. Driving Boxster will not make you less of a man, but rather understand what the commercial slogan is all about "there is no substitute"
z-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Mdreiver

You just called a 911 a straight shooter. :-/ It's important not to confuse handling dynamics with grip or performance around a road course or mountain road. The 911 doesn't give up anything to its baby brother.

That said, like you, I prefer the handling characteristics of a Boxster S.

It's also important to point out he's talking about a 996 and a 987. The 987 is vastly improved over the 986 which would have been a more direct comparison. So, as you say "Boxster is has more grip than 911", it would even be less true if you were comparing a 987 to a 997.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM   #10
pontiakos

I have an 06S, at the time I did not think the 15 horses were worth the wait and I still don't. Since August I have racked up 14,000 miles on the car, it has been bulletproof. There will ALWAYS be a bigger engine, more pixels, truer mid range etc.

In Socal, there are far more guys driving boxsters than women, 911 tiptronic is has become the great equalizer...

ALl that being said, drive both, decide what you want out of the car and go have fun, neither choice is a bad one..
pontiakos is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman