Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 5th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #1
slevy951

Boxster Top Fix

There was a thread on this a month or 2 ago. Anyway, I have the fix ready for the red plastic ends. Please the the link.

Scott

Boxster Top Fix
Old September 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM   #2
Tool Pants

Re: Boxster Top Fix - interesting

My friend Chris is the shop foreman at our local dealer - he has fixed many tops. I told him someone wanted to have the joint made out of metal intead of the oem plastic. He said the joint is plastic so that if something goes wrong with the top drive the plastic will break - reducing the risk that other parts will break if it continued to move.

I like what you have done anyway. Too bad Porsche makes you buy the entire arm just to get the red plastic joint.

Old September 5th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #3
slevy951

Re: Boxster Top Fix - interesting

I used to think that too. I'm not doubting your guy. I just think that Porsche found out that plastic is cheaper than metal. Then they can sell you a whole rod instead of just the plastic piece when the car is out of warranty. Purely financial IMHO. Interesting note, the 996 uses a completely different top mechanism. No common parts.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman