Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 29th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #1
Admin

Boxster RS 60 Spyder in Limited Edition

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is presenting a new version of the mid-engine Boxster sports car at the Bologna Motor Show in early December. In its colour, design, features and philosophy, the Boxster RS 60 Spyder brings back Porsche’s motorsport era of the ‘60s: After countless class wins, the Porsche Type 718 RS 60 Spyder was able to take on and beat its competitors also in the larger engine categories, scoring its first overall victory in 1960 in one of the most prestigious long-distance races for the Manufacturers’ World Championship in the important US market, Hans Herrmann/Olivier Gendebien winning the 12 Hours of Sebring in Florida.

Now the new Boxster RS 60 Spyder is taking up the momentum and purism of that so successful mid-engine two-seater racing car. The front end of this special model taken as a standard feature from Porsche’s SportDesign Package distinguishes the RS 60 Spyder significantly from the Boxster S. A modified exhaust system made up of a sports exhaust combined with a dual tailpipe increases engine output to 303 bhp. Spacer plates move the 19-inch wheels in Porsche SportDesign into an even more prominent position in the wheel arches. Likewise featured as standard, Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) ensures both sporting and comfortable driving pleasure at all times.

Paintwork in GT silver metallic is further accentuated by its contrast to the natural leather interior in Carrera red and the roof also finished in red. As an alternative there is also the choice of dark grey natural leather in conjunction with a black roof. The features and equipment of this special model are likewise very special and sophisticated: Door trim strips made of stainless steel proudly bear the “RS 60 Spyder” model designation, an extra-sporting gearshift lever, special surface grooves in the centre sections of the sports seats and the centre door linings as well as on the steering wheel rim and handbrake lever accentuate the sporting and exclusive ambience of the interior.

The design of the instrument clusters finished at the front in GT silver metallic is equally sporting and dynamic. With the binnacle otherwise positioned above the instrument cluster being dropped on this special model, the large central rev counter and the two circular dials at the outside add a unique and purist touch, presenting the exceptional flair of a racing car also in the cockpit.

This special look is further enhanced by other refined features such as the windscreen frame finished in black and red rear light clusters as well as the centre console, the rear sections of the seat backrests and the rollbars all finished in GT silver metallic and thus harmonising perfectly with the seat belts finished in silver.

Reflecting its model designation, the new Boxster RS 60 Spyder is limited to a Special Edition of 1,960 units proudly bearing a silver-coloured placard on the lid of the glove compartment.

Market launch of the new Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder is starting worldwide in March 2008. Including 19 per cent VAT and country-specific requirements, the retail price in Germany is Euro 63,873, the base price Euro 53,500.
Attached Thumbnails
rs60a.jpg  
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #2
cyclocross

Cool! Is a picture of the interior and instrument cluster available?
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Mdreiver

You know what followed the last Boxster that paid homage to its predecessor right? I'm thinking the 988 must be out any day now. Maybe 09 rather than 10.

I love this car though. I might pick up a pre-loved example some day.
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #4
dedes

Cool RS 60 Spyder pictures

THOSE WERE THE DAYS: The Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder draws its inspiration from the Type 718 RS 60 sports racing car of 1960.

PARED-DOWN STYLING: The windscreen surround is blacked out, there's a special front spoiler and sexy 19" rims - the Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder looks like it's breaking the speed limit just standing there.

SERIOUSLY LOUD LEATHER: The Porsche Boxster RS 60 is also available with dark grey leather trim.
Inside, the souped-up poor-man's Porsche has sport seats, a race-inspired gearshift lever, and wider-set gauges.

The top and leather interior are offered in Carrera Red, matching the hue used on the original. A dark grey interior paired with a black top is also available for the non-purist. Occupants strap in with silver seat belts regardless of interior choice.

YOU CAN'T MISS IT: The Porsche Boxster RS 60's stainless-steel door trim strips are embossed with the "RS 60 Spyder" logo.

TWIN PIPES FOR EXTRA POKE: The dual tailpipes under the rear of the Porsche Boxster RS 60 aren't just for show - power is up from 209 to 226kW.

The 2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder will make its North American debut in March of next year at the New York auto show, and will go on sale shortly thereafter with an MSRP of $64,900. Production will be limited to only 1,960 (get it?) cars; fewer than 800 of those are expected to be sold in North America.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:57 AM   #5
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdreiver View Post
You know what followed the last Boxster that paid homage to its predecessor right? I'm thinking the 988 must be out any day now. Maybe 09 rather than 10.

I love this car though. I might pick up a pre-loved example some day.

mmmmmm, This is a nice car but what have they in store for the 988?
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Spiral

Oooh. I want one of these. It would've been cool if they made a new wheel style just for this model. Maybe one that is more reminiscent of the original. I wonder if you can do deviated carpets and leather? I would do the carrera red interior with dark grey carpets, with dark grey leather on the upper portion of the dash, with some on the door to tie it all together. Anyone else excited that the Boxster has finally broken the 300hp barrier?
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #7
RickJ

Rs60

Or....you could go with a replica - the one here is shown with the owners at Paso Robles 2006
http://www.automk.com/thread-35966-1-1.html
although it has no heat, no ventilation, AC, radio, roll up windows, etc - and this one has no top.... the Boxster version has some advantages...
RickJ
Attached Thumbnails
RS60s.jpg  
RickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #8
ppbon

I want one...

... in ORANGE!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote