Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 8th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #1
Gary (Redwood Shores)

Coolant Warning light question??

The last three times I've driven my 97 (not a daily driver), I've had the coolant warning light come on after just a couple of blocks. The light blinks, but is not on constantly. I checked the coolant level, which was almost full. When I opened the coolant cap, there was a slight hissing sound, as though it was pressurized. The manual says the blinking warning light could be indicative of a fan/blower warning or malfunction, if it keeps blinking.

On each of these occurrances, I've pulled over, shut off the engine, waited 30 seconds and restarted the car. After restart, the warning light does not blink any longer.

Has anyone had similar problems? Do you think this is something that needs to go to the dealer? What may I be doing by shutting off and restarting the ignition?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old August 8th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Have you checked your coolant level when the car is cold? *NM*

Old August 8th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #3
Gary (Redwood Shores)

Re: Have you checked your coolant level when the car is cold?

The first time this occurred, I only drove about 4 blocks, then returned home and opened the coolant cap. That's when I heard the hissing. I don't think the car's temp had too much time to raise up. RPM's were kept pretty low the entire trip. I'll open the coolant cap again now that it's cold and see what happens.
Old August 8th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #4
Gary (Redwood Shores)

Problem resolved - I think!

Well, well. It seems that even a 4 block drive can alter the appearance of the coolant level. I just checked it, after it's been sitting 6 hrs and the coolant level is at the minimum line. I'll add more when I get home.

Thanks Tom
Old August 8th, 2002, 12:00 PM   #5
Magic Mtn Dan

Be sure to use (ONLY) Porsche coolant

and check the ratio - it should be 50/50 (Porsche coolant to water)
Old August 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM   #6
PT

Can I add water instead of coolant? *NM*

Old August 8th, 2002, 12:46 PM   #7
Chatter Box

Theoretically, that's all you need.

Supposedly coolant doesn't evaporate. If that's true, and if you don't have a leak, then your coolant level hasn't really changed. The water portion of your cooland/water mixture has dropped so one would think that adding water to raise the overall level back to original would return you to the 50/50 ratio that you started with.
Old August 8th, 2002, 06:06 PM   #8
Magic Mtn Dan

I wouldn't do it...

once you start adding only water or only Porsche coolant, you start changing the ratio. Certainly adding a small amount can't hurt much but your best bet is to go to a Porsche dealer and buy a container or two (or three) and have it on-hand when the need arises.

It's better to be safe than sorry.
Old August 8th, 2002, 07:54 PM   #9
Loren

Coolant Warning... more than you want to know...

From the Technical Manual...

"Four functions of the coolant warning light:
1. Engine coolant level too low
* light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)

2. Engine compartment temperature too high
* light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)

3. Engine coolant temperature too high
* light is lit; pointer on the right

4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty
* light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Note: The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously."

Loren
Old August 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM   #10
Chatter Box

I'm guessing that you didn't read my post.

and just reacted to the subject line. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. hehe. So, are you saying that the coolant does evaporate along with the water? Because if it doesn't, then all you lost is water and just putting water back would maintain the 50/50 ratio, not change it. I'm asking because I don't know for a fact that coolant doesn't evaporate. It's just something I heard.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.