Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 7th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #1
Dan (san jose)

Brake wear warning light

Replaced my rotors and pads yesterday but warning light remains on. Does the computer need to reset with a PS2 at the dealer?
What about just removing the sensors altogether from the main plug on the strut? Any thoughts or suggestions. If I stay with the sensors since one of them was in contact with the rotor do I need to replace it?
Please let me know.
I guess I could always just remove the bulb from the light on the dash!
Old June 7th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: Brake wear warning light

My understanding is that if the sensor has worn all the way through it will need to be replaced. As I recall, they're about $15 or so per sensor. I'm sure Kevin or Trygve can provide a more detailed answer.
Old June 7th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #3
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

once the light goes on, you need a new sensor

many folks who regularly go thru brakes and ALWAYS KNOW the condition of their pads zip-tie the sensors out of the way instead of inserting them into the pads.
Old June 7th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #4
Dan (san jose)

Re: once the light goes on, you need a new sensor

Doug,
I have removed the sensors from the main plug on the strut and the light is still on. Is the only way for it to work properly is to have a sensor plugged into the main plug even if it is not attached to the brake pad? Will the light reset if I put in new sensors regardless if they are inserted into the pads?
Thanks
Old June 7th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #5
Tool Pants

Re: once the light goes on, you need a new sensor

Stop by tomorrow and someone will take a look if we have time.

Old June 7th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #6

correct. put on a new sensor

and your light will go out. doesn't matter if it's inserted in to the pad or tied back somewhere.
Old June 8th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #7
Dan (san jose)

Re: Brake wear warning light

Much thanks to Loren. He had his laptop with OBD2 software loaded and checked my car for any trouble codes. Nothing came up so not only is my brake warning light not a retreivable code but thanks to him I found out that I have no other computer stored sensor problems.
After our discussion about the closed circuit brake wear sensor I decided to do a little electircal work. Took my old sensors and cut off the contacts, leaving the two wires on each sensor connector. After stripping the wires and twisting them together, I soldered and sealed them up. Re-inserted the connectors on the struts. Now no more warning light and no more sensors!! Yeah! Now I can get full usage of my brake pads without the infernal warning light coming on.
Thanks again to Loren (sp), and Henry's continued hospitality. Hi, to Colm Campbell...hope your B&M install went smoothly. See you at the next AX.

Dan Thompson GGR competition director
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #8

or you can do some electrical work

good job!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman