Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Hambone'sBoxster

Best performance tires for my baby?

I recently bought a 2001 Boxster....and I love the way it rides and handles. The tires are getting a little worn, and I am looking to replace them. I purchased the car with Nitto 225/40ZR 18 on the front and the 50ZR 18 on the back. From what I can gather, the "Z" rated tire is the best for performance. This is my first performance car, and I would love to hear anything on tire performance. What type of tire comes from the factory with them? What does the dealer recommend? Any thoughts?
Hambone'sBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #2
ar38070

Michelin, Bridgestones, Pirellis and Continentals have all been used as OEM by Porsche. If such things are important to you there is a list of "approved" tires. Pretty much any W, Y, or Z rated tire is okay. There is loads of info at www.tirerack.com.
ar38070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Dicktahoe

I'd be looking hard at the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2)--I've heard a lot of good things about them and that's what I plan to go with. Check them out at www.tirerack.com
Dicktahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4
Docdanracy

Arrow depends on what you mean by performance driving

On this board it might mean daily driving with a few quick freeway on ramps.
Or some autocrossing, or DE or time trialing or any thing in between.
"R" rated tires such as Kumho, Yoko or toyo
Falken RT615 a very sticky street tire.
What are you going to do with the car.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #5
rkoscha

Michelins are the way to go

I have Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and they have been fanstastic. I would class performance driving as anything on the track - I have taken my Boxster on track days and the Michelins have been sticky and predictable - when you're hanging it sideways through a tight corner you need predictable tyres. They do wear out quickly though - one track day saw about 20% of the tread gone - it was well worth it though!

Ross K
98 Box Guards red with Black.
rkoscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #6
RNajarian

I agree, Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are the way to go

My rear tires became bald while I researched which tires to get on my car. Using your suggestions I bought Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. I am very happy with the ride and handling. Thank you guys for your recommendations.
1975 911 Targa Guards Red
1983 911 SC Guards Red (RIP)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #7
blinkwatt

I have Bridgestone Pole Positions and they hold very well but treadlife is another issue,but heck when buying a Porsche you know what your getting into(hopefully).
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #8
RNajarian

Treadlife isn't very good with my Michelin's. I am told 20-30,000 miles depending on driver. I am expecting 15,000 HA!
1975 911 Targa Guards Red
1983 911 SC Guards Red (RIP)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman