Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 28th, 2000, 03:43 PM   #1
Tom R

New Owner's Conundrum #1: Gas in the Bay Area

Minimum recommended fuel for Boxster is 93 RON with 95 preferred. Best I've found around San Ramon is 92. Is this not a concern or is there a secret Boxster Fueling Depot around here?
Old December 28th, 2000, 04:14 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: New Owner's Conundrum #1: Gas in the Bay Area

The 92 octane available in the Bay Area should be fine. It's basically what we all use. The nod seems to go to Chevron although I also use Union 76. Some others use Costco (40 cents/gal cheaper for 92 octane yesterday.) If you go to the track you can get race gas at $5.00/gal :O

As I recall, Docta Boxsta had mentioned someplace where higher octane gas was available. But it would likely be out of the way for Eastbay residents.
Old December 28th, 2000, 06:17 PM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

You don't need anything more than 92...

the computer will adjust for ocatane level and the car will run like butta!

Like Tom, I prefer to use 76 and Chevron.

Happy Boxstering! See you Saturday?
Old December 28th, 2000, 09:15 PM   #4
Tom R

Thanx and look forward to meeting you all Sat. *NM*

Old December 29th, 2000, 11:03 AM   #5
Jay in SF (and now freezing in CT)

race gas

whats the octane rating for race gas? i assume that our ECU will compensate for this as well.

i remember hot rodders back in manila loading up on aviation fuel, the problem they said was when you switch back to regular the car would be "used to" the AV-Gas and wouldnt run as well.
Old December 29th, 2000, 11:39 AM   #6
Catalog Guy

Re: race gas

I think it's 100 Octane, although they may have more than one grade available. Michael tried it but reported no noticeable increase.

Andrew
Old December 30th, 2000, 12:01 AM   #7
Joe McB

Re: New Owner's Conundrum #1: Gas in the Bay Area

An Exxon TV add today simply stated: 93RON. Only problem is there are few Exxon stations in Marin.We'll have to check it out.
Joe
Old December 30th, 2000, 06:54 PM   #8
SfSF

Sunoco will deliver 100 octane to you...

for just over $4/gallon. The gas can then be blended to achieve the grade you are looking for and will average out to a more reasonable price since you'll be mixing in 92. A chart is provided for head-scratch-free computing.

The only catch is you have to order the gas in 55 gallon drums. They provide a little pump and they drop off and pick up the drums so if you have room in your garage, it's not really that big of a catch. Besides, it's way more convenient that taking a 5 gallon container to the nearest retailer of 76 racing 100. And it's cheaper since you're buying in bulk.

The previous messages that said your computer will adjust are right. However, this adjustment is actually retarding ignition timing and is a noticable loss of power. It only occurs when your engine is knocking so for the most part, it doesn't intervene and 92 is okay. But on the hot days, if you are running your engine really hard, you will inevitably run into it eventually. You can feel it!

One guy said that he tried racing gas and didn't notice a difference. That's because higher octane doesn't add power. In a situation where you car is not knocking on 92, it isn't being cut back by the knock sensor and therefore, is already at the max. Higher octane in this scenario will not provide any additional speed. But if you are experiencing knock, higher octane will get rid of it, thus making your knock sensor happy and returning your car to full power.

I can't remember who I spoke with at Sunoco, but you can either go to their website and look around...www.sunoco.com

or call their cust service number...800-786-6261

But you probably won't need any this winter. I'm personally holding out until the next time my car cuts out on me.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman