Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 26th, 2000, 04:36 PM   #1
scott in redwood city

blown or not to blow...

that seems to be the question. My 98 is now at Carlsen for a diagnosis. It does fire, smokes very heavily after sitting 24/48 hours then clears up. I am getting some water out of the exhaust. I was informed that motors are generally stocked but now are on order... looks like i'll be driving my Passat at Trackquest in Feb. Happy Holidays!
Old December 26th, 2000, 04:49 PM   #2
Barbie Boxster

Hey Scott, you found this place too

It's me, Jeff Lopez, hiding as the Barbie boxster.
If you have coolant out of the exhaust you have a blown motor or bad head gasket. How the heck did you get it to Carlsen? I know you said you were going to drive it in. Did you?

Like I said before, there are at least 3 Babblers with new motors. You are number 4. And I think you had 20,000 miles. So, there goes that theory.

Hope to see you back on the road ASAP.
Old December 26th, 2000, 09:15 PM   #3
scott in redwood city

Re: Hey Scott, you found this place too

Hey Jeff... they are thinking its a head gasket. I'm pushing to have Porsche live up to their expectations regardless of warrantee. I will be pushing for a compelte motor. I've assemlbed motors with friends that have more than 20k on them. I've always really felt this was going to happen, just did not know when. Will keep you all posted with the progress.
Old December 27th, 2000, 03:48 PM   #4
Jay in SF (and now freezing in CT)

exhaust water- bad thing?

or only if measured in gallons?

i get some of it but i thought it was just normal condensation.
Old December 27th, 2000, 04:59 PM   #5
Barbie Boxster

Jay, that is normal condensation from the exhaust

This is when there is a failure such that oil and coolant mix and the coolant gets into the combustion chambers. On a normal car it is a blown head gasket. Coolant on the dip stick, smoke out the exhaust, and very high psi readings in the sp hole with a compression tester as coolant his filled the combustion chamber.

Almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about.

Stop thinking about it or you will be the next transplant.

What the heck are you doing in CT. There for the warm weather? I grew up on Long Island, a ferry boat ride away

Jeff
Old December 29th, 2000, 10:58 AM   #6

spending the holidays with my sister

and playing nanny to my niece and nephew

so how do you figure out the difference in smoke?
Old December 29th, 2000, 02:25 PM   #7
Barbie Boxster

One is normal water vapor, and the puff for the normal oil

use on a flat engine design. Just as other boxer flat engine designs. Happens on motorcycles with this design all the time.

Two different kinds of stuff out the exhaust.

Hold your hand up to the exhaust. Is it water or oil.

Jeff
Old December 29th, 2000, 06:39 PM   #8

oic :o thanks! *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman