Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1
newhere

Alarm system ? 2002 Boxster

At the risk of sounding clueless: the first Boxster I've looked at has an alarm system where you must insert the key and turn it as soon as you open the driver door...or the alarm sounds off.

It struck me as inconvenient (of course having your car stolen would also qualify in that category).

Is this normal?

Thank you,
N.H.
newhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #2
baxter

did you open the door with the key? what year was it? mine doesn't work that way.
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Dr. Zoom

It doesn't sound normal for a factory alarm system so it might be an aftermarket system. Many of the early cars didn't have the factory alarm so some owners had aftermarket system installed.
Dr. Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #4
newhere

Thanks for replying, the seller opened the door with a remote key, and said when I asked about the alarm system that it had always been that way (this is the offspring of the deceased owner).

I'll do more checking into after market systems and I've made my offer contingent on the alarm system working as it's supposed to (if I can just figure out what it correct for it).

Appreciate the input!

NH
newhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
WC13

I have an 02 S with the factory alarm and it does the same thing. I believe have figured out why.

In the manual, it says that if you unlock the door with the key, you have 10 seconds to start the car before the alarm goes off. Like you, I had the issue of the alarm going off right away. Determined to figue out why I discovered that turning the key right locks the doors and left unlocks them (I believe, I get confused, which is why I always set the alarm off when using the key ). If you initally turn the key to the right the alarm goes off right away (I guess they figure if you own the car you know which way to turn the key). If you turn the key left you have the 10 seconds stated in the manual.

My solution is to use the remote! The only time I endup using the key is when I have had the misfortune of not being able to drive her for 5 days and using the key is required. Good thing this is few and far between!!!

Hope this helps!
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman