Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 26th, 2002, 11:51 AM   #1
JoshS

Comments on Claridges' service dept?

I've read all the recommendations and comments on Kimo and Claridges' service but I was kind of irked by my last 2 conversations with them. I scheduled an appt to have my OBC activated because he told me that I just can't show up and expect them to do it. He also told me that it cannot be done on the 2002's. I said I've seen it and why not just give it a try? So today, I called again confirming my appointment for this afternoon and he said that it takes more than an hour and if I show up after work at 3pm, the techs will not be able to finish it and they would have to charge me. Excuse my language but that's a load of bullsh!t. Did any of you guys/gals get the same crappy treatment? Maybe I'm just spoiled by BMW and Lexus service...
Old July 26th, 2002, 12:02 PM   #2
Tool Pantsİ

Re: Comments on Claridges' service dept?

I just spoke to Chris at AB and he or Peter will turn it on if you just drive in and ask for them, and tell them you know me. Of course, you have to go to San Jose. I'm goofing off most of this afternoon and might be able to meet you there. Lunch time is best since they usually eat in the shop. 408-274-1135 for the next hour.

Jeff
Old July 26th, 2002, 12:16 PM   #3
Chatter Box

He probably misunderstood you.

On 2000 and earlier, you could just activate the temp display from the OBC and didn't need to hack a button or a stalk.

On 2001 and later, you cannot do this. You still need them to activate the OBC for you, but you now also need to install a controlling device such as the switch. Let him know you are aware of the shortcomings and you still want it activated.

Yes, I was spoiled too by Acura service. Porsche service is not up to the same standard as some of those luxury makes. But Claridges is pretty helpful and currently my favorite of all the bay area Porsche dealers. I have tried all the East Bay dealers and didn't like any of them. I haven't tried south bay yet. My one experience at SJ was brief but positive. It's just so far from me.
Old July 26th, 2002, 12:19 PM   #4
JoshS

He understood exactly what I said..

it just seemed like he didn't want to deal with it or even do it. It takes 5 mins to do it and he wants to charge me an hour labor??? I rather take my business elsewhere...
Old July 26th, 2002, 12:22 PM   #5
Boxster Ben

I think they are very hit and miss...(long)

Ok, here's my quarters worth...I bought my car from Claridge's and hands down, their sales department sucks...I've had it in for warranty work three times and for a rear main seal replacement as well as the 15,000 mile service. I've dealt with all of their service guys, Gunter, Kimo, etc. I had one really good visit but for the most part, it's been pretty spotty service. I found their rates to be very inflated and their work to be substandard. I've actually had to take the car back twice for the same problem. Once I told them I didn't want them to wash my car but I was charged for it anyway (of course I didn't realize this until I got home. On other occasions I've never even had them offer the complimentary wash...now these are all pretty minor annoyences but...in my book they add up to a general loss of customer service. Now, some Babblers here get exemplary service every time they drop in ... I really don't like a place that treats folks differently each time. Interestingly, last time I was there the service rep was checking my account and vin number and I heard the recorded telephone conversation that stated "customer may have service issues"...now, have they got me pegged as a disgrunteled customer, or what? I gave them an average score on the internet survey...so now I'm flagged in their computer as a crybaby!!! On the positive side, I always get a Boxster loaner so I guess life isn't all bad. Some Babblers have had nothing but great service from them and good for them. I may just take my car to Ralph at European Auto works in the future. Ben.
Old July 26th, 2002, 12:44 PM   #6
Gary (Redwood Shores)

Speaking of Bay area dealers....

Did you guys know that Carlsen is moving from Palo Alto to Redwood City? They are moving off of Marsh and 101. I drove by the facility about a week ago, looks pretty nice. It is scheduled to open Aug 1. It is now a Porsche dealer exclusively. No longer a Porsche/Audi dealer - something to do with Porsche restricting dealer sales of the Cayenne to Porsche exclusive dealers only.
Old July 26th, 2002, 01:21 PM   #7
Larry Nakamura (In SJ)

AB in San Jose is also going to do a major rennovation and get bigger.

Will be at the same location.

I have found that it really helps to build a
relationship with the dealer. If they see your
face around, they are more apt to help you out
with things. They know me by name at AB and I
haven't spent hardly any money on maintenance
yet.
Old July 26th, 2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Stevec

Re: AB in San Jose is also going to do a major rennovation and get bigger.

Funny 3 Lexus cars and many one full day in service.

Once to replace a peeling chrome strip, once to correct a vibration (done on the first trip) never a problem, cars always washed, Tell them whats wrong they fixed it.

Porsche Boxster, in 4 times, 3 for balanced tires, had to call tire manufacturer to get them to do something, arrogant tech, (That's the way Porsches drive, shift, ride, squeek, etc) And once to repair a paint chip, I scheduled the service, got a boxster loaner and at the end of the day, chip not done, he had "another project that took up the time" Just bring it back next week.

Hey I work I don't have time to be playing with the service department.

I will say, notwithstanding the Porsche itself, I'd be hard pressed to buy another based on dealer performance in fact it would probably be a big NO.
Old July 26th, 2002, 02:32 PM   #9
PT

Don't let a guy named Jason help you.

There is a customer srevice guy named Jason at AB. He sucked. I brought my Box back because they lost a part during my last service. He promised me part arrival date and he made me drive back there 3 times within 2 months each time saying the part is not here and was ordered. Ordered my foot! After this experience, I don't think AB is all that great. I bought two Boxes from them too. If you have to go to AB, don't let him help you.
Old July 26th, 2002, 03:50 PM   #10
Magic Mtn Dan

In my opinion, this isn't a typical service issue...

It's all about the relationship. If every customer called up and wanted their OBC turned on what would that be like for the dealer's service department.

Sure other makes' service departments are better (don't even think about comparing Porsche's service to say, Lexus - there's no comparison) but this goes beyond the typical service issue.

I've said it before and I'll suggest it again - there's no substitute (like how I used Porsche's text there?) for getting to know the service writer, the shop foreman and the service guys. If they just remember who you are you stand a MUCH better chance of getting things done that go a bit outside the standard set of services.

Don't forget that dealerships make a lot more money on service than they do on sales.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman