Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 19th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #1
ZENHPNS

Question New Rear Tires

Hi everyone --- I'm new to the group and I just wanted to get some advice on tires:

I just bought a 2000 Boxster S and I need to have the rear tires replaced soon (the seller knocked down the price for me). I live & work in San Francisco and was wondering if anyone knew of a reputable tire shop in or close to the city. Iíve never ordered tires online (like from tirerack.com) and was wondering how that whole process worked.

FYI: The tires still probably have a good 1-2K miles of tread life left on them, but they are looking pretty bald; the front tires are totally fine. The car has 34K miles on it and I think these are the second set of Continentalís on the rear. Does anyone have any recommendations for other tires? Is 20K miles a realistic estimate for tread life? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I look forward to hearing from you all and actively participating on this site.
ZENHPNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #2
boxs2000

I have ordered tires at the tire rack and had them dropped shipped to a big O where they installed the tires and was very pleased with the whole process and saved a bundle of money (the tires were for my SUV) I have not done this for my Porsche yet. I do have the same car as you. I currently have have a set of Bridgestone S03 and are very happy with it. I would most definately buy these tires again as a replacement.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

Welcome. Ordering from Tire Rack is certainly one option that quite a few people use (there's a link on the front page ). If you don't already have a specific shop in mind the Tire Rack site has a list of installers that you can refer to. However since you may also want to get an alignment you might want to check out Custom Alignment in Mountain View. I know it's a bit out of your way but, somewhat surprisingly, they're one of the largest volume installers for Tire Rack in the SF Bay Area.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #4
ZENHPNS

Thank you both for your responses --- I think I'll probably order the tires from tirerack.com and get them installed at Custom Alignment.
ZENHPNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman