Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 13th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #1
987 softtop v R171 SLK steel hard top

I know that it would be unfair to compare insulation and wind cutting ability as one is canvas and the other is steel top... how good is the triple lined improved canvas top against the elements?

What about durabilties? Can they go for a few years against sunlight and the elements without the need for replacements?

Definitely not gonna be as sturdy as the SLK's top but this is my only concern now. With the engine sitting behind me, it's gonna be loud but the top is really holding me back. I am afraid that after owning the SLK, this one will put me off after a week's driving... test drive ain't indicative
cja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2
I am driving a 986 not a 987 so I cannot speak for the 987 but as for the 986 noise from the mid mounted engine, it has never been an issue. In fact I wish the engine was louder (I may desnorkle.) As for the canvas soft top. Again not an issue. A little noiser yes but only really noticable in heavy rain. My top is five years old and in great condition. A little faded yes but there is a canvas conditioning solution available at Kragen to fix that. I am disappointed in Mercedes. I think the quality of the vehicle has gone down. I know five MBZ owners who say this is their last MBZ (Three E class owners and two S class owners). If I had to chose between a 987 or a SLK the only question is what color 987 would I get.
R Najarian
2005 Cayenne Titanium Metallic
2000 Boxster Artic Silver
1975 911 Targa Guards Red
1983 911 SC Guards Red (RIP)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #3
MB's qualities are very inconsistent. The M class has always been ranked as one of the most unreliable vehicles on the market.

Even on JD Power's rating... MB is really one of the few on the bottom. After what I went through... I know they don't care... they are too big but the 3 star isn't the same anymore... it does not live up to the legacy... sorry to say.
cja is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman