Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 21st, 2001, 10:40 AM   #1
"Foosball" Brian Harrington (SJ,CA)

brake pads

although this is many miles away, would changing from the OEM pads to a Pagid or Hawk pad provide improved street braking without increasing squeal?

is there any non-track benefit to alternative pads. i do so enjoy hard braking

also thinking about those Tequipment lowering springs. anybody know anything about them?
Old November 21st, 2001, 10:42 AM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: brake pads

There's lots of info on this subject over on the Boxster Racing board.
Old November 21st, 2001, 11:16 AM   #3
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Re: brake pads

I really don't think there is any benefit to using track pads on the street. They will probably perform worse than the stock pads. Track pads stand up better to the extreme heat generated under track conditions. The trade off is that they don't perform very well until they heat up. On the street, your brakes are probably pretty cold most of the time, and very rarely up to the kind of temperatures you will see on the track. Track pads also have a reputation for squealing a lot.

I have been pretty happy with the stock pads on the track. I may try some track pads soon to see how much more wear I can get out of them. (They cost about twice as much as the stock ones, so they had better provide a lot more wear!) But I will always go back to the stock pads for the street.
Old November 21st, 2001, 01:46 PM   #4
jonathan

Re: Pagid Blues

Brian,

I put a set of Pagid Blues (RS4-2) on mine about a month ago. I didn't use the anti-squeal shims at first (back-ordered) and they just about drove me nuts. However, they stop just fine, albeit with a lot of dusting.

I installed the anti-squeal shims (easy) this weekend and now no squeal and a hell of a lot less brake dust too.

Haven't tried them on the track yet.

jonathan

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman