Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Cece

Deafening rear end noise

Hi. I found a thread on a similar problem, but could not find the resolution.

I have what sounds like road or tire noise coming from the right rear of my 2001 Boxster S. Noise increases with speed, and by 60mph the roar is deafening. I went for a long drive the other day and think I damaged my hearing.

Noise is same level if I am in neutral or engaged in any gear. It seems to be completely speed related.

My Continentals have about 1,000 miles on them. Alignment is not at all cantilevered.

I guess next step is alignment? Could this be something more serious?

Help!

Thanks,

Cece
Cece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Does the noise change at all when one side has more load on it than the other as when turning?

I doubt an alignment will eliminate any tire related noise. Though if they only have 1,000 miles on them the tires shouldn't be noisy unless the alignment was pretty far out to begin with. If that's the case you may wind up with noise for the life of the tires unless they get shaved to eliminate the feathered edges.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #3
blinkwatt

I wouldn't be shocked if you have a wheel bearing that's gone bad.

01' 986 S Orient Red Metallic, 6-spd, clear lights(w/ xenon)
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Cece

It WAS the wheel bearings

I took my car to Heyer Automotive in Mt View on Friday. Tony told me the right wheel bearing was among the worst he'd seen. I was really lucky -- if I had driven any further, I might have ruined my axel stub.

Since Tony thought he heard some noise in the left wheel also, I changed both bearings. I can't believe how much better the car handles! I must have been developing this problem for quite a while.

Cost of replacing two rear wheel bearings at Heyer Automotive: $728.
Cost of not going deaf while driving: priceless.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Cecile
Cece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #5
blinkwatt

I swear 01' 986 S go threw wheel bearings more than any other 986 model.

01' 986 S Orient Red Metallic, 6-spd, clear lights(w/ xenon)
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6
dougmack

Wheel Bearings

I think Boxsters have a bit higher consumption rate on Wheel Bearings than other cars. My 2000 Boxster S with 35K miles has had two replaced; my 2000 Volvo Cross Country with 130K miles still has its original bearings.

That said, I'd MUCH rather be driving the Boxster than the Volvo. And, the Volvo has other parts that have had higher than normal failure rates.

I think you should expect wheel bearing failure rates even higher on the Boxster if you're running wheel spacers or wheels with more offset than stock.

Doug
dougmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman