Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #1
ChrisZang

This forum dead Y'all?

Wow,

well the number of posts usually decreases during the winter (don't know why as I don't think anyone in the Bay Area stores their Boxster over the winter).
What's going on y'all?
Did everyone depart to 986forum?
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #2
offshore

Probably more like the PCA Boxster Register. http://boxsterregister.org/index.php
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

It's always been tough in the Winter months and even more so around the holidays. The other driving force (or lack thereof) is that event coordination has basically fallen by the wayside. Group events was one of the strong points of Babblers and with very little local representation events that were somewhat regular (Spring Fling, Fall Frolic, Toys for Tots, etc.) have basically ceased to exist - and it shows in the overall participation of the forum.

The times of pulling together a weekend drive just for the joy of getting together with friends and heading out on the road are pretty much over. The only regular event that's still going strong is the Boxster Brunch - though there's no reason a 2nd such event couldn't happen somewhere in the Eastbay or North Bay Area on alternating months. However it takes the commitment of 1 or more individuals to see that it remains active.

All that said, I am not dumping on any of the support from those that are doing what they can so please don't take it that way. The forum was put together for the Bay Area group of owners to coordinate drives and other events and the fact that it has a wider group than that was and is a plus. There is also a much wider array of Boxster-centric forums available from when it was started nearly 8 years ago.

The recent Car Care Day was a success and similar events are planned. Individuals that have the time are also welcome to host "Work on Cars" days and other impromptu events. Be creative because if you wait for someone else to pull an event together it will probably never happen. Heck, it might not bee too late to pull together a Spring West Coast Boxsterfest somewhere down in the Santa Barbara area or further up north.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
hotrod356

I would love play in your neck of the woods, and always become envious when the babblers organize a cool bay area drive or shop day. Chris you should organize a Karting event at Go Kart racer. I may be able to swing that one But the airlines wont let me check my Boxster. Man I miss California!
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #5
ChrisZang

Pete, let me know when you're in our neck of the woods again and I'll organize something at GoKartRacer if Trista and Gabriel will still play with me after I stood them up twice
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #6
dedes

Activities on the Calendar

For several years or more I posted lots of events/activities on the Babblers Calendar. Put on a few drives/tours every year. I asked if people would help to post events on the calendar or help put on a tour. I didn't get much of a response. I felt I was the only one at times. It takes only a few minutes to post a local event, even a car race or car show on the calendar.

Sorry, but I gave up.
dedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Macintas

Blame Pedro's board

This aint rocket science!!!
As an observer from a long distance it is obvoius that the day the post came out about Pdro's board people stopped psoting on Babblers...I for one am bitterly disapointed as a person who logged in almost daily to keep up to date with what was happening in your neck of the woods.
Please come back...I miss the info and insights into what is the bets car I have owned and enjoyed
Macintas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #8
Tom M
Site Founder

Pedro's reincarnation of PPBB isn't the entire story as PPBB and Babblers coexisted for many, many years and filled different rolls.

Dede hit the nail on the head as people need to step up to plan and execute events. To put it simply, if everyone waits for someone else to do it it simply won't happen. There's clearly still interest in participating in planned events as witnessed by the turnout for the recent Car Care Day - however I fear the heyday is over. The good news, if there is any, is that as long as the forum still breaks even on costs I have no problems leaving things running.

That said, this summer will mark the 11th anniversary of creating of the group and it seems like someone needs to plan another Birthday Bash. I certainly would do it if I were still in California but it seems like that won't happen either. The day's of well planned BBQ's and Boxsterfests is over - but it doesn't have to be. A quick glance through the gallery shows what things have been like in the past and what they could be still, provided a few people were to step up to help out. In the next 6 months at least 3 events should take place; some sort of a Spring drive (typically a longer drive called the Spring Fling), a Spring Car Care Day (which Alden is willing to host) and the Birthday Bash. One person doesn't need to do it all but it does take at least one committed individual to focus on each event.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #9
baxter

PPBB was always TOO busy and too clicky, also. Babblers has been a place that I visit daily. It's ok if it is quiet sometimes. That's part of what I like about the site. And everyone who uses this site has always been very patient and giving to folks who ask questions here, no matter how basic, dumb, or uninformed. We have all witnessed the wars that have occured at PPBB. It is great that Pedro was able to keep that going for those who wanted it. But we get Pedro's advise and input here too. As someone who will never be able to attend an event, I just want to say that this site serves a very useful purpose to people who are literally, now, all around the world.
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #10
dedes

June 18th, 2011

Thanks Tom....
I don't mind posting events, or even conducting drives/tours, etc. Just want some people to "step up to the plate" here.. if you want some local Bay Area events.

F.Y.I. - I am planning another "Russian River" tour on June 18th, 2011, like we had this year. We had a huge turnout...over 60+ cars on the road from the Golden Gate Bridge (Vista Point) up to Occidential/Union Hotel for lunch. Then out to the coast.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUNu3vAQRh0"][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUNu3vAQRh0"]Russian River Fun Run - YouTube[/ame][/ame]

Special thanks goes to my friend Steven Sit...my video camera man.

Ron Breeze from PCA-RR (Santa Rosa) is helping me coordinate this from the north end. If anybody else wants to be on this planning committee (south bay) let me know. The event is going to be "BIG" open to all of Zone 7 PCA. We will also include a list of hotels/B & B for people to spend the night for a extend stay in the area, like Bodega Bay Inn.

I will let you know more details ASAP....but MARK your calendars for this one for sure. You don't want to miss out !! We need photographers/video camera and some leaders.

Last edited by dedes; December 15th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
dedes is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman