Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1
hotrod356

Replacing water pump?

Hello,
so today Im driving home from work and I notice a sort of faint dry bearing sound, that fluctuated with the change in rpm's. I thought to myself...Uh ohh. So when I got home I noticed the overwhelming smell of coolant. So there it was, about a glass full of coolant, and a bit of steam coming out off the intake once I took the engine cover off? My Boxster is a 99 and in its 128k has had every minor Boxster issue, which I've been able to address myself. but none of the Ehm (crossing my fingers) have been big ones? This one is new to me. Now being a optimist, I am hopping its just a water pump? If so according to "Bentleys" It looks doable? My question is, Is there more to this then appears? What else should be checked? Should I just break down and have a dealer or independent look at it?

Also im now living in Oregon, if anyone knows of a good independent in the portland area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot in advance for any advice.

As the late 356 Guru (the Maestro) used to say "Keep the faith"... Im trying
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I recently replaced the water pump on my ’99, so it is certainly doable as a DIY. The greatest difficulty for me was the dexterity and flexibility required, as it is about 40% inside the cabin and 60% underneath (a lift would make the job much more enjoyable).

Mine had the same symptoms, coolant leaking in the center of the car, as opposed to the passenger rear wheel area which is more indicative of the coolant tank, also replaced recently. I also had steam coming out the passenger side vent. I was able to confirm the water pump by removing the engine access panel on the fire wall behind the seat and running the engine, using care not to get anything caught in the moving parts. I was able to see water pooling and droplets flying from the pump’s pulley shaft.

A couple other hints:

Remove the passenger seat, I didn’t and in hind site wish I had. Be sure to follow all the rules regarding the air bag.

You’ll need a pivoting socket extension for one of the bolts; you can’t get to it without one.

While you have the coolant drained, you should also replace the thermostat, it’s relatively cheap. There has been debate over the OEM (180 degree) vs. the LN Engineering thermostat that opens at a lower temp, 160 degrees I believe. I went with OEM.

If you have access to the vacuum tool that allows you to evacuate all the air in the system and refill the coolant, I strongly advise it. If not, Pedro’s site has some good instructions for manually “burping” the system.

Unless you are planning to re-use the drained coolant, you will need at least 2 gallons of Porsche coolant or something compatible and a couple gallons of distilled water to do the 50/50 mix.

The Bentley Manual is a good reference.

I ordered my pump from www.autohausAZ.com, be sure to order the gasket as well.

Good Luck!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM   #3
hotrod356

Thank you so much Boxster Bob for taking the time and giving me the low down. Now I think I can tackle this with a bit more confidence.

Thanks again, and I will let you know how it goes?
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
ChrisZang

good luck Pete, let me know how it goes

Chris
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5
gerrygug

Had mine done at the dealer $768.43 new pump and flush cooling system.
How much will you save DYI?
Wish I were more mechanically inclined.
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #6
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygug View Post
Had mine done at the dealer $768.43 new pump and flush cooling system.
How much will you save DYI?
Wish I were more mechanically inclined.
Pump: $245
Thermostat: $49
Gasket: $4
2 gal coolant: $66

I also picked up the updated coolant tank cap: $18 (I strongly recommend this, HotRod356, if you don't have the latest)

Old style on the left, revised on the right - Part # 996 106 447 01

Old November 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #7
derb

The latest iteration of the coolant cap is 996.106.447.04. Hard to believe they have had to redesign the cap so many times.

When replacing the water pump keep track of where the bolts go as some are longer than the others. Also, don't be surprised if, after you fill the system, the coolant light flashes indicating low coolant level. You might have to top it off a couple of times as the air makes it to the tank. There is also a bleeder valve you can open that's located under the plastic cover where the oil and coolant fill caps are located- remove the 2 caps and the dip stick and pry up the plate. Flip the wire level up and replace the caps and dipstick. Drive around for a day or two before you close it.

Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Dennist

Independent Porsche Repair

If you are not going to do it yourself, here are the names of local's:

Portland: Marque Motors, Hickman & Theiman, Matrix

Lake Oswego: Stuttgart Motors

Beaverton: Motorsports International
Dennist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #9
Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
The latest iteration of the coolant cap is 996.106.447.04. Hard to believe they have had to redesign the cap so many times.

When replacing the water pump keep track of where the bolts go as some are longer than the others. Also, don't be surprised if, after you fill the system, the coolant light flashes indicating low coolant level. You might have to top it off a couple of times as the air makes it to the tank. There is also a bleeder valve you can open that's located under the plastic cover where the oil and coolant fill caps are located- remove the 2 caps and the dip stick and pry up the plate. Flip the wire level up and replace the caps and dipstick. Drive around for a day or two before you close it.

Regards,
mike
A part number change does not mean it was re-designed. In many cases part numbers change when Porsche changes their primary vendor.
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #10
flintworks

The water pump job is definitely do-able in your garage/driveway but it is not a fun and exciting job. Be prepared to spend a full day on it. You need to have a 10mm swivel, finger strength and patience. Also you need to cut the water pump gasket out and trim the new gasket to use only the portion necessary for this repair.
http://www.flintworksauto.com/porsche
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman