Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Blubox03

What other maintence should we be doing with our Brembo brake calipers? Should we be cleaning the pistons in the calipers every so often or just checking to make sure there is no tearing in the rubber boots?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blubox03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #12
TI (Alameda)

piston seals eventually need replacement

The piston seals eventually need to be replaced. I'm not sure exactly what constitutes a bad situation or what damage it causes ... perhaps too much dirt and dust getting into the piston and causing scoring. With the brake pads removed you can see if the seals are cracked or torn.

Anyway, you can get the kit for not very much and replace them yourself. If I recall they are just a friction fit, so no tools required (once you have the caliper and rotor removed), but I found it a little bit frustrating to get them properly seated and to stay in place correctly. I think they actually call these "piston dust covers". There are inner seals, too, but those are not DIY, at least for me.

Just for future reference, here are three links to relevant part info. The exact parts depend on the model/year and front/rear, because the piston sizes vary. Each caliper has 2 larger pistons and 2 smaller pistons.
1. This UK parts site page has two good pictures of the outer seals I am talking about.
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_4...l-Repair-kits/
2. This Renntech thread discusses the whole process including a full rebuild, and has some part numbers.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...70#entry181970
3. This Pelicanparts page lists the kits.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...BRKhyd_pg3.htm
TI (Alameda) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Docdanracy

You might want to consider going to the RS14 Blacks....little higher temp range.
Better overall feel on track.
I used to run Pagid Orange on track on my 914-6 with a 2.7RS motor running 4 piston JFZ calipers front and rear.
Also ran Pagid Orange on my 1987 951 with complete Turbo Cup suspension on track.

I have also had good results running Porterfield R4-Ss on my track 914s
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #14
Blubox03

Thanks for the link. On the pelican parts page, there is "caliper rebuild grease". Would this kit with the seals for the pistons on the brake cliper constitute a "rebuild"? Not sure what else you can do. Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blubox03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Tags
boxster brake line metal