Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM   #1
jonathan

Engine work

Open question for the more technical side of the board...

Has anyone done any internal engine work on the M96 series engine (2.5 through 3.4)? Upgrades to forged pistons/rods, lowered/raised compression, knife-edged cranks, Raceware fasteners, that sort of thing.

Curious how it turned out, how the engine was to work on, what special tools were most useful, etc.

Jeff (tool pants), I recall that you pulled apart some of engine, I still have the pics around somewhere. If you have any particular thoughts I would be interested to hear them.

History: I have a 2.5L and passed 80K miles a few weks ago. Now that I'm well out of warranty I'm thinking it's time to add power...

1) Supercharge the 2.5?
2) Twin-turbo the 2.5?
3) Add in 3.4? (seems pretty straightforward, I have ifo on this one)

1 and 2 would be best accompanied by internal work if I'm going to go to the trouble.
Old February 7th, 2002, 05:44 PM   #2
Bruce From Fremont

Re: Engine work

I traded mu 2.5 in for an S and if I had to do it over again I would put in a 3.4 with a 6 speed trans. I think the relability of the conversion would be the best. My friend and I are locking for a track boxster to play with and add a 3.4 or bigger motor.

Bruce
Old February 8th, 2002, 07:32 PM   #3
Tool Pants

Re: Engine work

One if these days Jonathan I hope to meet you and a Boxster with 80K on a M96 engine. Where are you?

The internal engine pictures I have posted in the past were taken apart by our Chris and Peter. The rumor is that the mechanics are not allowed to open the motor, just ship them back in a crate. But, some say that they cannot make repairs but can open the motors.

I once asked if a M96 motor could be bored out, and the response was "good luck." That motor is not like the old air cooled. They are disposable motors.

I check out the German sites and once in a while I see a company that has internal engine parts which claim a hp increase.

I have a '97 2.5 and think that there is no reliable way to get a hp increase. Remember that Porsche did it by starting with a 2.5, then 2.7, then 3.4. On the 996 it was 3.4, and now 3.6. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

Jeff

http://www.fvd-usa.com/

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman