Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #1
CatalogGuy

Oh no... spots on the floor!!

I have driven the car so little over the past few years, that I really haven't explored much the issue of the RMS issue and its progeny (IMS?). But on the garage floor under the engine area are several spots of liquid. Maybe 6 spots of about a teaspoon apiece. Clear, oily feeling, "machiney" odor. First time anything has leaked (with this engine, apart from the coolant tank several years ago). Can anyone offer insight as to how to tell what is going on?
Thanks... it's a 2000S.
CatalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

As one who went through 6 RMS changes I'm sorry to hear this. The first clue to the puzzle is the location of the spots in relation to the car as there are lots of potential oil leaks other than the RMS.

Centered? By the wheel? Elsewhere?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #3
hloo10

Could be RMS. Our cars are the same age. I just had my clutch done and they noticed the beginnings of a RMS leak. It was a very small leak. It wasn't much more to have it done at the same time. Apparently there is an updated part they are using now. My first RMS fix was when the car had 7k miles. They replaced the whole lump. Now this lump has the "new" part.
hloo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #4
offshore

Does the oil have a strong burned smell and does the smell differ from your motor oil (take your dipstick out and smell the oil)? If your oil on the dipstick smells like oil and the oil on the ground (if it is motor oil) has a burned smell to it it could be oil from your IMS bearing. Your not going to know for sure unless you pull the trans. Before you do that though check your air/oil separator, the bellows from the air/oil separator, oil filter, dip stick tube and so on. How many miles on the car?
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
CatalogGuy

More on the spots on floor

I am coming back to the Boxster now time permits...

The oil on the ground does not seem to have increased. It definitely does not smell like the oil on the dipstick, much stonger and different.

How do I check the oil air separator? And the dipstick... what am I checking for?

I presume that if there is a leak that I risk damage by driving it?

Thanks for any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Does the oil have a strong burned smell and does the smell differ from your motor oil (take your dipstick out and smell the oil)? If your oil on the dipstick smells like oil and the oil on the ground (if it is motor oil) has a burned smell to it it could be oil from your IMS bearing. Your not going to know for sure unless you pull the trans. Before you do that though check your air/oil separator, the bellows from the air/oil separator, oil filter, dip stick tube and so on. How many miles on the car?
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Docdanracy

if the car is sitting in the same place it has been for awhile, it appears that this might be farther back, indicating something in the tranny is leaking.
especially since you say it smells, looks and feels different than motor oil...
tranny fluid usually has a more petroleum smell to it....much stronger than motor oil.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

Andrew, check my intial post here. Where are the drops in relation to the car? The location will help as a starting point. I doubt htat it's the AOS as that would also tend to lead to a fair amount of smoke. More likely a gasket leak or RMS, etc.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #8
CatalogGuy

Btter pic

Take a look at this image taken through the driver side rear wheel. Tail of the car is to the right. The car is usually pretty consistently parked as far as front-back. It looks like the leak is rather far back.

The spots appear to be centered beneath the car, although I have in the past parked the car about a foot left, meaning the spots would have come from the passenger side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Andrew, check my intial post here. Where are the drops in relation to the car? The location will help as a starting point. I doubt htat it's the AOS as that would also tend to lead to a fair amount of smoke. More likely a gasket leak or RMS, etc.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Docdanracy

leave the car exactly where it is and place a clean piece of card board under it...wait for several days and see what you get.
From that pic it looks like oil, but is hard to say....seems too far back to be motor since they appear to be rear of the CVs/Axles....that would be tranny time.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Tomy996

You say it's a "clear" fluid. Could it be clutch or brake? Doesn't sound like engine oil at all. Possibly coolant even? All of these have colors of course but can appear to be clear when you dip the end of your finger in them. Hell, maybe it's cat pee!!!
Tomy996 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman