Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #1
matthew465

Puff of Blue Smoke when starting

I have a 2001 Boxster with 27,000 miles, which I purchased 4 months ago. Does anyone know what could be causing me to get a puff of blue smoke from the tailpipe at startup. I have left it sitting for a much as 7 days, and will not get the puff, but then I can leave it sit for 4 or 5 hours and will get the puff. Over the last 5 months I think it has happened about 4 or 5 times.
matthew465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

The flat six design allows a bit of oil to slip past the rings into the combustion chamber on ocassion. Very normal for this type of engine unless it continues to follow you down the street. Then you may be talking the air/oil separator, but that's a whole 'nother story. Consider it like a small belch after a fine meal.
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Willy

I get that from time to time as well. 2001 S. I'm sure I have seen other posts about this and from my recollection, it was nothing to worry about.

Will
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #4
Speedster

I have had my 2001 for just over a month and it has done the same thing on two occasions.
Old September 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #5
SRAMOS

Hi, I'm new to the site. Based on my Porsche mechanic, this is normal due to the fabrication of the flat six engine. I had the same concern..but it's normal as long as the car doesn't continue to smoke for a while..
SRAMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #6
matthew465

Thanks for your replies. This makes me a little more a ease knowing that I do not have a problem.
matthew465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
usmcrec

I had that happen to me

It happened 2 times, once when i used lucas fuel system additive(I put the whole thing in..i know im an idiot) and second right after i had filled up the tank with fuel(probably cuz i never do!) I agree its normal so dont worry, its kinda emberrasing puffing blue smoke right after a start up, but look @ it this way...you drive a PORSCHE they dont.
usmcrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #8
baxter

This is why I love this forum

We've had this discussion before on this site. I had the "blue smoke" happen once. The beauty of this forum is that when it does happen, you don't panic. Otherwise, I would have had a cow.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman