Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Peer

Placement of GPS...?

I'm getting a TomTom 510 GPS (4.2 x 3.1 x 2.5) and wonder if there's any snazzy place that I could mount it -- semi-permanent. Suggestions appreciated.

-- peer
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2
vabeach

I mounted the magnetic antenna just above the center outside of the windshield on the frame. The cable is hidden under the rubber seal around the windshield. I mounted the TomTom on the suction cup holder in the extreme lower left onf the windshield. Works fine.
vabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #3
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I have a Garmin and toyed with the idea of mounting in the center console, however I didn't want to mess with an external antenna and I wanted it to remain portable for use in our other cars. I used the stock suction cup and placed it in the left corner. I bought an adapter at radio shack and hard wired it to the fuse box, so no more cigarette adapter and it turns on/off with the key. I can also pop it out of the mount if I have don't want to put the top up when leaving the car for a short time. I work in Palo Alto, so if you want to see it in person, let me know.
View from inside:

View from outside:
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #4
iko

BoxsterBob,
I have a similar Garmin and use it in the same corner of the windshield. However, in California it is illegal to affix anything (other than the Fastrak pass) to a windshield. Have you had any other thoughts about a center console mount?
iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #5
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I know it's illegal, so is no front plate and driving 66 mph on 101 I was thinking about removing the CD holders and cubby and building a custom enclosure, but three things stopped me:

1. It would no longer be easily moved to another vehicle
2. It would require an external antenna
3. Putting it that low would require too much eyes-off-the-road time.

I like the position we have ours in now, albeit illegal unfortunately, I'm right handed and selecting a destination with my left hand is an exercise in futility.

If you come up with a good alternative, please post it.
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Peer

I think the best location for my GPS might be where BoxsterBob has it, and I'm even left handed (and very right brained; http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/humanResearch.html ;^)

> I work in Palo Alto, so if you want to see it in person, let me know.

Yea, that would be cool. However, tomorrow afternoon I'm driving down to LA for a five day stay, (I'm borrowing my friends Garmin since the TomTom hasn't showed yet), so maybe I could take a look at yours sometime next week. I really like the idea of having it hardwired to the fusebox as you did.

-- peer
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #7
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
I think the best location for my GPS might be where BoxsterBob has it, and I'm even left handed (and very right brained; http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/humanResearch.html ;^)

> I work in Palo Alto, so if you want to see it in person, let me know.

Yea, that would be cool. However, tomorrow afternoon I'm driving down to LA for a five day stay, (I'm borrowing my friends Garmin since the TomTom hasn't showed yet), so maybe I could take a look at yours sometime next week. I really like the idea of having it hardwired to the fusebox as you did.

-- peer
No problem, I work off Embarcadero East, near Carlsen Audi, so let me know what day works for you.
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #8
hloo10

If that's a C550, there's a dash mount that works great.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory_hig....jpg&name=Dash

I have mine in the exact location as Bob in my BMW. That location works great for two reasons. The wires can run down the left side hidden under the weather strip and your eyes stay on the road. I did the same as Bob in the BMW with a cig lighter socket from Radio Shack hardwired to 12V ignition switched.

For those with external antennas, you can put it where the factory one goes. It fits under the blinking red light in the center of the dash. Run the wire under the plastic trim near the windshield. The plastic trim along there pulls right up and snaps back in. This is where I have the antenna for my Pioneer indash Z1.
hloo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #9
057adnoh

I have the garmin and sirius I looked into pulling out the plastic change ,wallet, holder and making up a face plate-box . what I have discovered is the garmin works just about anywere in the car. I set the destination and turn the audio up.,then the garmin tells you were to go , it gives plenty of warning of lane changes. I think its safer than trying to look at the screen .
057adnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #10
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Mine is the c220.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman