Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Peer

Handiest 12v for my GPS..?

What/where would be the easiest way to pull a 12v line to the center top of the dash? Don't like the big cigarette lighter thingee for my GPS.

-- peer
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

I would suggest connecting to the switched 12V on the phone connector behind the center console (something like this).

If one is clever enough it is also possible to run the wire up behind the dash and have it exit near the center under the cover in the middle.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Peer

Wow -- that's cool, so now I'm giddy as a schoolgirl... yet, I have no friggin' idea where this (photo) is at -- is it down at the fuse box outlet? If so, how can I run cables from there and up & behind to the center dash?!

Any further help and/or suggestions appreciated,

-- peer
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

The picture was taken looking at the console from the passenger footwell. The carpeted panel has been removed by grabbing the edge closest to the front of the car and giving a sharp pull.

Removal of the panel shows the snap-in retaining clips that hold the panel in place. The panel side of the retainer is plastic. Be sure things are lined up prior to trying to reinstall the panel or you risk breaking the carpet side of the clip.

'11 958 Cayenne S
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #5
Peer

Tom...
..I'm about to put your picture on my wall -- you're my hero. Thanks so much for the 1000-words pictures. Most helpful.

-- peer
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
I would suggest connecting to the switched 12V on the phone connector behind the center console (something like this).

If one is clever enough it is also possible to run the wire up behind the dash and have it exit near the center under the cover in the middle.
So does this phone connector exist on a 987? And is that the white wire that you tapped into for switched 12v?

Thanks
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
So does this phone connector exist on a 987? And is that the white wire that you tapped into for switched 12v?

Thanks
To be honest, I'm not sure about the 987 - but it's easy enough to check. As far as which wire it's best to check a wiring diagram or test things with a meter to see which wire is the switched lead.
'11 958 Cayenne S

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.