Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 29th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Paulsha911

What Sport Seats Are You Guys Using?

I know quite a few of you have installed sport seats other than the OEM GT3. Any recommendations? Cost? Where to buy?

Also, any recommendations who can install them along with roll bar?

Thanks.

Paul
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:52 PM   #2
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Sparco Evo/Evo-2 is a popular choice...

I have the slightly wider Evo-2. It's the best thing I have done to my car. I bought it along with the necessary mounting hardware from Wine Country Motorsports at Sears Point. They gave me a 10% PCA discount off of the c. $550 list price. I installed it myself. It's a medium effort hack. If you want someone else to install it, I would suggest one of the race shops like S-Car-Go (Marin), Ken's Sportech (Campbell) or Kahlers (East Bay).

Installing the BK bar is really pretty easy. The first time out, you might spend 1-2 hours. However, after doing it a few times, I can now install it in about 20 minutes.

I would offer to help with both, but I will be out of town for most of August.
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #3
Paulsha911

Kevin, how are the seats for daily driving?

Thinking whether I should get the race series, or the hybrid model called "Roadster".

Old July 30th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #4
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

It's very comfortable...

I drove down to TBHL in Vegas and back with no problems. I actually prefer it to the stock seat.

The only issue is that the tall sides make it a bit awkward to get in and out of the car. This is especially true for me since my legs are fairly short, so I have the seat pretty close to the steering wheel. But it is certainly manageable. Sliding the seat back makes it easier to get out.
Old July 30th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #5
Trygve Isaacson

Agree on Sparco Evo

Kevin and I got ours at the same time to save on shipping costs. We both opted to go with Sparco sliders in order to keep the position adjustable and allow easy 4-bolt swap in/out (because this way the factory sliders remain with the factory seat when you pull it out). I am very happy with the seat, and find it very comfortable, enough to leave it in for daily use. Once you get used to it, it's actually not too bad getting in and out of the seat in daily use.

The parts we used are:
1 seat
1 set of side mount brackets from Brey-Krause (slightly different for Evo and Evo 2)
1 set of Sparco sliders
1 set of floor mount adapters from Brey-Krause
1 slider actuation tube from Brey-Krause
1 spare factory seat belt receptacle (to attach to the race seat)
1 extra bolt and a couple of washers for mounting the spare seat belt receptacle to the seat (get it after you receive the seat hardware so you can match the threads)

I think Brey-Krause supplied everything but the seat and spare belt buckle. I'll see if I can dig up the part numbers. There are all sorts of other mounting options, but with this design the seat is easy to swap in/out (literally just the 4 stock bolts to the floor), it is still slideable, and you can use the factory seat belt on the street with the new seat and you won't set off the air bag light. (Buckling and unbuckling 6-pt harnesses all the time on a daily driver is a total pain.) Other options include foregoing the sliders and getting custom mounts that bolt to floor/adapters directly; or using the factory sliders on both seats (makes for a lot of extra work when swapping the seat in/out).
Old July 30th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #6
Paulsha911

Thanks, Kevin and Trygve...

Kevin, when you say it's relatively easy to get in and out, is that with top up or down? With top up, does it make it that much harder?

Still wondering whether I shold go EVO-2 or the hybrid Roadster model. Need to find a place where I can actually sit on one...
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #7
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

i'm 6', 225

and it definitely makes a diff with the top up or down (easier with it down). i've got the evo also (should have the evo 2) and it's very comfortable and it is usable as a daily driver, but i decided to swap the seat in and out as needed.
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:35 AM   #8
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Yet another mounting option...

Get a second set of Porsche factory sliders and mount the seat to those. I recommend this because 1) the Sparco sliders tend to be a bit "wobbley"; 2) the Sparco sliders use a release bar which is constantly falling off; 3) you won't need the BK floorpan adapters (the $98 you save on this should make up for the difference in cost between the $50 sparco sliders and the $??? Porsche sliders.

I started off on this path but a less than helpful guy in a dealers parts department dissuaded me from pursuing it.

Of course, if you aren't concerned about easily swapping seats, you can just mount the seat to your existing sliders and save about $150 in parts.
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:58 AM   #9
Doug MacKenzie

Re: Sparco Evo/Evo-2 is a popular choice...

I sit pretty tall in the factory seats. I'm pretty sure I can't wear my helmet with the top up. Do the Sparco Evo/Evo-2 seats lower you in the car?

Doug
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:21 AM   #10
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Re: Sparco Evo/Evo-2 is a popular choice...

If you use the sliders I don't think you end up much lower than you would with the stock seat at it's lowest position. However, you can save an inch or two by eliminating the sliders and mounting the seat directly to the floorpan (I think BK makes a kit for this). You can also remove the bottom pad to drop yourself a little lower.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman