Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #1
mcluucy

Question Accessing engine from top - Removing top tension cable

First of all, I want to thanks everyone on this forum again for helping me out with the last several questions that I had with my Boxster (2001, base). So far, all the inputs have helped me tremendously. I am still new to all of these, and reading the past posting have given me a lot of insights.

I am hearing some squeaking sound in the interior cabin when driving, and it seems to be coming somewhere behind the seats. While I drive, my wife tried to "touch" the seats, wind-deflector parts, rear shelf, center console, convertible top, dash, etc. all around the interior and cannot locate what is causing it. The squeaks happen at all speed. When the top is down, the sound seems to disappear, but it may be because it's less quiet with the top down to notice it.

I am suspecting that maybe the engine cover is loose or something like that and would like to investigate to rule out this hypothesis (also, I am curious to see the engine for the first time). I tried to follow the manual’s instructions on how to open up the engine cover from the clam shell. I am stuck at the part where I am supposed to pull out the convertible top tension ropes on both sides of the car (see attached pix). The instruction tells me to pull the rope ball head to the side of the car. I tried to do that with some force and nothing budges. I am tempted to use a plumber pliers or something similar to force the balls out, but I am sure this is not a good idea.

It seems that many members had experiences with access the engine from the top, and based on this, the procedure shouldn’t be that difficult as what I am experiencing! What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
boxster_top_tensionrope.JPG  
Silver(ext),Gray(top),
Gray(int),18" turbo rims
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
ppbon

The tips of each of the two cables are held in place by spring tension.
The ball (male end) is fixed to the top and the female end (cable) is what you pull out.
If it's never been done before you may need to pry a little, but it shouldn't be that difficult.
Once the two cables are disconnected, remove the rear compartment and carpet.
There are 5 quarter-turn locks with rings that need to be released.
Then, just lift the cover and look at your engine.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #3
dedes

Not sure if you have read up on this.....hope it helps.

Here is a link on
"Accessing the Engine Compartment"

Also, I found another article about air filter service which describes accessing the Boxster engine compartment & procedure. Click on link below and scroll down on the article where it describes opening and closing procedures for the engine compartment.
Access to the engine compartment

Here are the notes from the article:

In order to gain access to the engine compartment and ultimately the air filter we will need to remove a few things from the car.
The top, storage shelf, insulation carpet and finally the engine cover must all be removed or relocated. The process for this is as follows:

• Activate the top so the body cover lifts up and the front of the top lifts back about two feet.
• Unclip the skirt of the top (both sides) where it attaches to the body.
• Disconnect the two retaining cables at each end of the top.
• Carefully lift the back section of the top forward until you feel a click (90 degrees of movement).
• Carefully activate the top to the closed position; making sure the cloth does not catch anywhere.
• Remove the storage unit by unfastening the two inside clips and the one top outer clip.
• Remove the two remaining rear fastening clips at the rear of the carpet piece and remove.
• Pull the locking rings of the metal engine cover up and twist counter clockwise.
• With the cover loose carefully remove the cover and set it aside.

Warning: You are lifting a heavy cumbersome metal cover over the painted surface of your car, if you drop it…. Well just don’t drop it!
We now have access to the engine compartment and air filter. The air filter resides in a rectangular housing in the far left side of the engine compartment (drivers side).

Closing engine compartment:
• Replace the metal engine cover and lock down the fastening tabs.
• Replace the top carpet cover and lock down the fastening tabs.
• Replace the storage unit attaching it at the two inside and single top tabs.
• Open the top as was done earlier and pull the back of the top down into its original position.
• Reattach the retaining cables at each side of the top.
• Reattach the skirt where it fastens to the body.
• Activate the top to the closed position.
• Double check to see that everything is in place and nothing is binding or catching as the top operates.

Good luck in your search for the noise!

Last edited by dedes; May 15th, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
dedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4
mcluucy

Thank you!!!

Hi Ppbon and Dedes,

Thank you for the advice! The site with pictures is the thing I am looking for. The drawing of the procedure in the manual can be a little confusing. I'll try out the instruction soon.
Silver(ext),Gray(top),
Gray(int),18" turbo rims
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #5
dedes

Here are some notes from Mike Focke's website

Remove the Engine Cover
Before you start work in the engine compartment, remove your belt and anything else that could scratch the paint as you lean over the car. Use old towels to protect the fender’s finish on both sides just to be safe as you’ll be leaning over the fenders to get at things.
The engine compartment cover removal procedure is covered in the owner's manual (pages 179-182 in mine) with pictures, is a one-person job, and is pretty easy. Just take your time. It involves parking the top part way up, unhooking it, strapping it up out of the way ( never found the strap and mine stayed up without it), removing the cubby box behind the seats, the sound deadening upholstery and removing the engine cover. You need no tools for this. You do need a place to set 3 car-wide items (good time to get the vacuum cleaner out and clean them).

Mike's Boxster Web Pages Home
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #6
The Voxster

To eliminate cabin squeaking, you could always

get some strut tower braces for front and rear... helps quiet the cabin down tremendously. :-)

They're quite inexpensive, and even an idiot like me can install them with the right tools. Check eBay or Vertex Automotive online:

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...%20Silver.aspx

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman