Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Agent piper

Talking Thinking of buying.

Hey everybody,
Well I have been looking around at Boxster's for 6 months or so and about ready to buy, I found a good deal at the Volvo dealer near me. I am concerned about the Rear Main Seal, or the Intermediate Shaft failing. If that happens I could never pay to replace the engine in the car at the full price for a new one or used.
Would a 98 or 99 not be a good chose and just stick with a 01 or 02. To own a Porsche i have been saving up some time while I'm in school and this car needs to last me a good 5 years as my daily driver.

Here is the car that I am looking at buying.
http://www.volvoofdallas.com/index.c...sed%20Vehicles

Thanks for all your input, Agent piper.
Agent piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Beelzy

OMG! No front bumper plugs?? Forget about that one.

Actually, looks good and the price is pretty decent too. If you check it out, make sure that all the panels under the car are still intact, and not tweaked from people "beaching" it.
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
bigb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent piper View Post
Hey everybody,
Well I have been looking around at Boxster's for 6 months or so and about ready to buy, I found a good deal at the Volvo dealer near me. I am concerned about the Rear Main Seal, or the Intermediate Shaft failing. If that happens I could never pay to replace the engine in the car at the full price for a new one or used.
Would a 98 or 99 not be a good chose and just stick with a 01 or 02. To own a Porsche i have been saving up some time while I'm in school and this car needs to last me a good 5 years as my daily driver.

Here is the car that I am looking at buying.
http://www.volvoofdallas.com/index.c...sed%20Vehicles

Thanks for all your input, Agent piper.
I understand where you are coming from with regards to the RMS/IMS/engine-failure issues, but the reality is that these issues are, in practice, unpredictable. If you _absolutely_ want to protect yourself against such issues, get a warranty (preferably a CPO) that will cover all these issues.

If you haven't already, search for "mike focke's boxster buying tips" to get a good idea of what to look for in used boxsters. The price at the volvo dealership does seem pretty good, but be sure to budget some $$$ for regular (non-warranty covered) maintenance and repairs, as that will undoubtedly add significantly to your cost, especially over 5 years.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #4
mikefocke

When you buy a high-end car, you have to account for higher expected insurance costs, higher taxes and higher repair costs. The latter you can do much about if you are handy.

Yes, if the engine fails it will be amazingly expensive. Isn't that so in all cars? But by far, most don't.

If you are looking at that 32k miles '01S, it looks on the surface like a nice car. Has it had its 30k service? How old are its tires and in what condition? Need new brakes? The serpentine belt could be 7 years old and need replacing? Trans fluid ever been replaced? When was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

There is no substitute for a Pre-Purchase Inspection by a mechanic who knows these cars...who sees Porsches every day and knows what to look for. Such an inspection can save you thousands down the road by persuading you that this car is not a good one to buy or it can help you understand just what repairs are going to be needed and when in the future.

They can be wonderful cars. My '01S has been remarkably economical and reliable. Better than other cars I've owned during the same period and with about the same mileage.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #5
RaisedOnPorsches

To give you a point of reference, I recently purchased my boxster '99 25k miles for $12,500 through a private party. Add to that registration fees and sales tax (8.75% here) and it was $13,600. Then I took it to the mechanic to have the oil changed & inspected. Turned out the oil-fill tube needed replacement (cheap part/lots of labor) as well as the two front tires. +$1400 = $15,000 before my new boxster was really ready for me to have fun with it. There was also a custom fit car cover and one or two items I "had to have" like rear speaker kit.

So what at first glance looked like a $12,500 purchase truly worked out to be nearly $16,000. That is 28% more than the base price. Check your numbers. Be absolutely sure you can afford all the little gotchas that show up when purchasing a car. There is some great reference material here on this site to aid you as well.

Can I afford to replace my motor if it blows up in the next year? Not really. I have a second car that I may be willing to part with to get my box back on the road, but I'm simply not going to worry about all that unless I have to. There is always the backup plan of writing a heartfelt tearsoaked letter to Porsche.

Best of luck!

-J
Sport Package
Hard Top
Roof Transport System
Speedster Humps

http://www.iwirep.com/wp-content/the...3f-xtsmall.png
iWireP: iPod Connector Cables for 986/996
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Jesse J. Williams

Thru the Grapevine

Dear Thinking,
Just recently purchased '03 with 8600 miles. I understand the '98 and '99 Boxsters have been known to experience complete engine failure i.e. the motors eating themselves. I have heard this from more than one source (local Porsche only shop AND I've seen this commented upon in other Porsche forums. Please, anyone follow this with any supporting input. If you have the choice, would go for a '00 or newer. Good luck on your purchase!
Jesse J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Mdreiver

Actually, the engine problems plagued the 00-03 models more than the pre 2000. My information came through 2nd hand knowledge personally knowing some of those affected. But the grapevine is good too.
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #8
mikefocke

I strongly disagree.

There are many potential problems that could cause engine failure. Early Boxsters of the 97-mid-99 vintage are potentially subject to a different set of failures than later ones. And more probable to fail early in their life cycle due to a specific set of problems (porous block and slipped sleeve are their commonly used names) with the early engines. Reference Excellence, Panorama, PCA and probably 5 years of reading messages on at least 5 Boxster forums daily.

Link
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman