Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 4th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Metron

Cigarette Butts in the Rads

FYI Just happened to stick a flashlight into the front bumper vents on my 06 Boxter and found a huge collection of butts, leaves, road kill, small stones and small pieces of plastic sucked in over 30k miles on the slab. I cleaned this mess out with the shop vac. If you left this crap accumulate the engine cooling could be seriously affected.
Metron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Paralizer

Yeah these things are like vacuum, they suck up everything. Just do a periodic inspection and you can use an airhose to blow out the debris. Or you could go over to PPBB.com and do some research in the archives where you can find a pictorial guide posted by Pedro of how to access the radiators.
Old October 5th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Westcoaster

This summer I took off the front bumper cover to install air horns, with the cover off, the radiators were completely in the open, cleaned them up, ready for the next 2 years...
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Metron

Front Bumper

Hello Westcoaster; Is it difficult to remove the front bumper cover? I may want to pull it off someday to have it re-painted or whatever. Please Advise Metron
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metron View Post
Hello Westcoaster; Is it difficult to remove the front bumper cover? I may want to pull it off someday to have it re-painted or whatever. Please Advise Metron
Not hard at all, some fasteners at the front under the trim where the red release handle is, a clip at each side of that same area where the cover meets the sheet metal at the headlights, some fasteners under the nose and just ahead of the front wheels. I removed the hedlights and side markers as well.

For a first time removal, taking your time, maybe 30-60 minutes being careful.

The toughest part was disconnecting the electrical connector on the passenger side that powers the driving lights, I found it best to remove the front inner fender well covers to make all of it easier. The left in cover is a must for that connector.

As usual, if you take your time, check repeatedly for the last fastener, you will be fine. Search the forum, there are some DIY articles as well.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Metron

Front Bumper cover

Thanks Al; I'll print out your reply and keep it in the maintenance file. Metron
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #7
CatalogGuy

Airhorns

What airhorns did you put in? How do you like them? Do you sound like a Mack truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
This summer I took off the front bumper cover to install air horns, with the cover off, the radiators were completely in the open, cleaned them up, ready for the next 2 years...
CatalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalogGuy View Post
What airhorns did you put in? How do you like them? Do you sound like a Mack truck?
I love the sound, and from a safety standpoint they really get the attention of the idiot that is about to cut you off!

The units I put in are from Griots Garage, they are an all-in-one unit so no hoses to connect to a separate compressor. The unit is compact enough to fit behind the bumper near to where the stock units are.

Here is a link to my DIY install at Renntech, go bumper removal tips too!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...pic=19761&st=0

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman