Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #11
ppbon

But do you now have data on these tracers?
Can you predict a failure with an oil sample now?
My understanding from the above was that this would be to build a database to try to figure out if any tracers are present before a catastrophic failure.
But, I may have misunderstood.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #12
Jake Raby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
But do you now have data on these tracers?
Can you predict a failure with an oil sample now?
My understanding from the above was that this would be to build a database to try to figure out if any tracers are present before a catastrophic failure.
But, I may have misunderstood.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
We have some samples that have come from failed engines with various issues. I would not say that at the present time we have the information to forecast probable failures.

If we can get 1-200 people doing this, as they experience failures while being monitored the ability to accurately establish trends that could save other engines would be much greater. Failures would have to be experienced by members of the group.

I'd think that within two years we'd have what we need to provide the forecasts.. This could be a good selling point for cars that have been mnitored and don't have any elevated levels that near the danger points.

...and I don't think there would be a better stimulant for the confidence of Boxster/996 Owners to feel better about their cars.

these parts don't break all of a sudden, they wear and wear until they finally scatter, monitoring and notating those wear metals is the key to understanding when and why the parts start to go south.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #13
woodmann99

Question setting up a program

I have been thinking about this issue. I believe Jake is right about wear metals and failure. Here is an idea! If we could get 200 people to save a sample of each oil change and note pertinent info with it, (1/2 pint container/paper label)and save them for two years. If you have a failure we test the oils leading up to the failure and get our findings. Once we have a data base any one could have their oil tested and compare to our data base. Just a start, but I would be better off knowing whats up on my 75K Boxster S and do a major overhaul and upgrade before a catastrophic failure occurs. Thanks, Steve
woodmann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #14
TypeS

Not trying to start a debate here, but it still seems to me that the type of failures I've seen in the 986, 996 documented here and on Renntech would more likely be predicted by the contaminants in the coolant rather than the oil.

Whereas if these motors were throwing rods I'd suspect lubrication rather than cooling.
TypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #15
hotrod356

I hope i'm not jinxing myself here. But I agree that they should be driven hard. I tend to mildly spank my boxster daily, and I think she likes it I'm at 120,000 miles now. Pedro's car is an inspiration! Vigorous exercise is important for Man, Machine, or Dog.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBXAKkdi7I"]Treadmill Charley - YouTube[/ame]
(for anyone who gets mad because there are no Porsches in this link, check out all of my other "chock full of Boxster stuff" videos)
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #16
Jake Raby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeS View Post
Not trying to start a debate here, but it still seems to me that the type of failures I've seen in the 986, 996 documented here and on Renntech would more likely be predicted by the contaminants in the coolant rather than the oil.

Whereas if these motors were throwing rods I'd suspect lubrication rather than cooling.
Those same failures would also show up in the oil as coolant intrusion.

Imminent IMS failure will not show up in a coolant analysis.

The program that Mike outlined here is a program that I am working on. Details will be available when my site is upgraded completely in about 3 weeks.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman