Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:40 PM   #1
Terry

OBC hack

Well - - - it was a weekend spent with Boxster pieces spread across the garage! I installed rear speakers, moved my garage door opener from the center dash to the console, and did the OBC hack using the footwell light switch (using Yosif's excellent instructions). It feels good when the whole car goes back together and still works! Only thing missing is the night illumination on the OBC switch. When connected in the OBC hack, pin 4 is tied to a body ground, yet the switch diagram shows that this should be a 12V input, which could then be used with a GND to pin 3 for the normal illumination. What is the secret code here to make this work?
Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:14 AM   #2
Sandy

There are a couple of solutions...

The simplest solution is to purchase a 996TT spoiler control switch (996.613.155.00 A02) and use it in place of the footwell lights switch body. Its two night illumination LED's are isolated from the switch contacts. You can easily remove the toggle (rocker) from your footwell lights switch and snap it onto the body of the spoiler switch. You will need to paint over the REAR side of the plastic "lens" on the footwell lights switch toggle, or perhaps use a small piece of black tape. You could leave the lens clear, but it will appear as if you have an amber warning light illuminated whenever your panel lights are on!

Another more complex solution, involves modifying the internals of the footwell lights switch to isolate the switch contacts from the night illumination LED circuit and the amber annunciator LED circuit inside. You can get an idea of what would be involved by checking out my spoiler-extended light mod. page by clicking on the link.

If you decide to go the spoiler switch route, pin 5 would need to be connected to GREY/BLUE/BROWN at the PSM or TC OFF switch, and pin 3 would need to be connected to RED/BLACK at the rear window defogger or convertible top switch to get the night illumination dimming voltages.

If you decide to modify the footwell lights switch, the appropriate night illumination connections are shown in the diagram on my mod. page.

BTW, a convertible top switch has the same internal connections as a 996TT spoiler switch.

If you need schematics of the two switches, e-mail me.

Footwell Lights Switch Mod.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 10:46 AM   #3
Terry

Re: Thanks - - - solves my problem!

By tomorrow I should be able to find my OBC control in the dark!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.