Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Crashcup

Xenon Headlight Thefts

Hi:

I understand the Boxster is especially vulnerable to Xenon headlight theft. I also "hear" that this tends to be a "regional" problem: It started in Florida and spread across the country. The folks at Niello Porsche said that there have been some problems around Los Angeles, but so far the craze hasn't extended to N. California. That's the answer I wanted to hear but somehow my "willing suspension of disbelief" is being stretched to the limits. Exactly how serious a problem is it up here and aside from never letting the car out of my sight or out of my garage, what other precautions can the owner of a 2003 Boxster S with Xenon headlamps take to prevent such thefts, if any?

thanks.

Bill:
Crashcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Any news about this will surely be anecdotal at best. While it may or may not be prevalent locally I think it's a pretty small portion of the Boxster population that's seen it happen. After all, the lights are really only going to properly fit another Porsche and I would venture a guess that most of the thieves don't own that make.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #3
Crashcup

Thanks for the response Tom. My concern grew out of a couple of articles I read about this problem. Theives are taking them out of Porches and Nissans and putting them in other makes, primarily Japanese made, souped up cars for kids. Go to the following link for one article. Not trying to make anyone paranoid, but if no one has experienced this up here, I'll be content to leave the topic alone. Thanks.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...14/ai_n6245144
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #4
larrykirkwood74

Jeesus Crashcup, I am already 'gunshy' so to speak. This past november, my car (not a porsche) was stolen, and stripped from the very spot my boxster now sits. Now i will be dragging my mattress down from the bedroom, along with my shot gun next to my car, where i will be sleeping from now on.....lol.
larrykirkwood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Crashcup

LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh, Larry! I obsessed over my Beemer until I got the Porsche. Now I don't give a rat about the Beemer. I can only obsess over one car at time. I guess I'll let it go. Thanks for the laugh.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman