Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 17th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #1
Scott in SF

18" wheels and spacer safety question

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about putting 18" 5-spoke lightweight wheels from a 996 on my car and I know that means that I will have to use spacers in the rear for the 18x10s 65mm offset. Is this competely safe? My car is not lowered.

What is this I've read about some people having to tie the emergency cable back?

Since I need to use longer lug bolts, is there any way to still have locking lug bolts?

Is there an "advantage" to having the 10" wheel in the rear instead of 9"?

Thanks for any help.

-Scott
Old July 17th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Re: 18" wheels and spacer safety question

Personally, I would go with 9" rear wheels and save yourself all the hassle. The advantage of 10" wheels is purely aesthetic. It's true that you could put 285mm rear tires on the 10" wheels, but that would just make the car less balanced (even more understeer).

On the track, I run 245/17's in front and 275/17's in the rear. I was getting some rubbing of the rears on the emergency brake cable. It's a simple matter to use a tie wrap to hold the cable close to the suspension arm. (But less simple to stop the tie wrap from eventually slipping up the arm. )

All that said, if you want the 10" wheels for the aesthetics, it is perfectly safe to use the spacers, as long as you get the correct length bolts. I'm not sure if longer locking bolts are available. (But I pitched those long ago.)
Old July 17th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Scott in SF

Thanks Kevin,

I would choose the 9" myself, but I'm having a hard time finding them with the Pilot Sports at a reasonable price.

Did you stop using the locking bolts because of the hassle of keeping the key around?

-Scott
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

I end up swapping the wheels a lot for the track. The key slows things down. It has also been known to break, leaving you stuck until you can get a new one.

Fortunately, I rarely park in areas where I would worry about someone trying to steal my wheels. Also, thieves with any smarts are going to expect that recent Porsches will have the wheel locks. So, may not even try, or they may be prepared to remove the locks.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman