Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 28th, 2001, 04:25 PM   #1
Tool Pants

More interesting spark plug info

On the silver 2.5 that was in for the 30k service I noticed that Chris was using Beru 14FR7LDU plugs, the same 2 side electrode plugs that I recently put in my '97 2.5.

Then we go to talking about what plugs to use on the 2.7/3.2 that came out in '00. As of '00 the plug change has gone from 30k to 60k. I thought all Boxsters for all years used the same plugs, that the change was only because experience had demonstrated that the plugs would last twice as long.

As I told Danny, the Porsche part number for the 2.5 plugs are different for the 2.7/3.2 plugs, the heat range is different, and I wondered why I could not find the Platinum+4 plug listed for '00 (only '97-'99) except that Performance Products lumps all Boxsters together.

Neither Peter or Chris has replace the plugs on a '00, so we thought maybe it went from a 2 to 3 electrode or was made of a different material. If I had been thinking I would have went to the parts department to take a look at the '00 plugs. The Porsche part number for '00 plugs is 999 170 204 91, and it appears that these are Bosch FGR6KQC. If anyone knows the difference between the 2.5 vs. the 2.7/3.2 plugs, please let me know.

For Danny, Pete said he did not like the +4 plugs as he has seen the platinum center tip come off and damage a turbo engine.

Jeff

Old November 28th, 2001, 05:17 PM   #2
Danny

Re: More interesting spark plug info

Hey Jeff thanks for the 411. Helps alot. So when can you stop by or when can I stop by?
Old November 28th, 2001, 05:53 PM   #3
Tool Pants

Spence will try to put something together for next weekend

for the Babblers at his place if things work out. If there is too much interest then perhaps Bruce Young will let use use his shop. (Hint to Bruce.)

We can do whatever. Maintance. Trip computer. Danny' secret project. CD changer. Rear speaker kit. Spin locks. Shift install. V1 install. Top hack. Harness. Replace Dr. J's instrument cluster light. Whatever you folks want to do.

I can bring the tools, so you should get your parts now. Dan is not here to help, but I'm sure Tom Morris and other Babblers will lend a hand.

Jeff
Old November 28th, 2001, 07:35 PM   #4
Trygve Isaacson

spark plug info

So Jeff, since I'm at 60K do you think spark plugs are easy enough to do if we have a maintenance party? (I presume 60K service would include plugs, and when I take it to the dealer for the rest of the 60K service they can do whatever else is needed.) Do you recommend getting plugs at the dealer's parts counter or somewhere else? (I have a 2.5 '98.)
Old November 28th, 2001, 08:01 PM   #5
"Foosball" Brian Harrington (SJ,CA)

next weekend? Toys forTots? *NM*

Old November 28th, 2001, 08:44 PM   #6
Tool Pants

Are you teasing me Trygve

or do you really have 60k miles? I'm on Boxster over load so I forget if you have the original engine. That is a lot of laps around the track.

For 60k you are supposed to replace the polyrib belt plus all check all the other stuff, but you know how to do that.

I owned 2 Fiats, X1/9, for many years. If I had a choice I would rather change the Boxster plugs as they are so easy to do. See, the Fiat was a mid-engine but it is turned in a different way.

Until I hear otherwise I would only go with the same plugs I put in my 2.5. Beru is not a Kragen thing, but it has been used by Porsche for a long time. Champion and other companies make a plug that will spark and fit the Boxster.

For your peace of mind the plugs for our 2.5 are Beru 14FR7LDU, Porsche part number 999 170 201 90

Beru is not a common plug, good luck trying to find it at Pep Boys.
Old November 28th, 2001, 09:01 PM   #7
Tool Pants

No speedgeld grasshopper

Next weekend is Sat. Dec 1. Toys for tots is Dec. 8.

Spence and others want to make their cars the best for the Golden Gate Run.

So this is something that Spence came up with for the weekend before the toys for tots.

Jeff
Old November 28th, 2001, 10:00 PM   #8

no no...

firstly, yellow in German is "gelb". "Geld" is money.

secondly, in my vernacular "this" weekend is the 1st and "next" weekend is the 8th.

for instance, I would say that "next" Thursday isn't, in fact, tomorrow but is instead the 6th of December. If I were referring to tomorrow, I'd say "this" Thursday.

get it straight
Old November 28th, 2001, 10:38 PM   #9
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

But...

when talking freeway offramps the "next" exit is the one you're about to pass. Strange, isn't it
Old November 28th, 2001, 11:46 PM   #10

hrm..... have to think about this...

ok, you've tripped me up on this one Tom. i think in this case, either next or this applies to the oncoming exit. although, if i meant the second exit, i'd say the next exit after this one. i wouldn't say the next exit after the next one.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman