Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 9th, 2002, 08:05 PM   #1
Geoff in Malibu

OBC hack parts? -- please help me TP!

I've got a 2001 Boxster without OBC, but the OBC sounds very worthwhile. From the messages I've read on PPBB, Babblers, etc. there's a lot of inconsistent and outdated info. From one message I read, it sounds like there's a BMW connector that is identical to the Porsche connector, just a lot less expensive. However, I haven't been able to find the part number anywhere. Does anyone (Tool Pants?) have it (the correct part number)? If yes, please let me know what I need to get from a BMW dealer. I think the Porsche part numbers are 999-50-056-40 for the connector and 999-650-057-40 for the connector cover.

For the 2001 model year, do I just need 5 of the VW wires (part number 000 979 009) for the connector to do the 4 stalk OBC hack? Somewhere I read that no splicing is needed for 2001 and later since the gray connector (behind the instruments) uses the same size connector on as at the stalk (other) end of the wiring harness.

One dealer I asked about the stalk said the part number changed from 996 613 219 00 EAK to 996 613 219 10 EWC. Will I have any problems with the newer part number stalk?

Any suggestions where to buy the stalk? Suncoast? Sunset?

Thanks in advance for any info and confirmations you can provide. I've researched this a lot and seem to be running into conflicting and out of date information on the various Boxster boards. Anything else I should know that's not documented in any of the OBC hack writeups?
Old September 9th, 2002, 11:02 PM   #2
JB

Re: OBC hack parts? -- please help me TP!

"For the 2001 model year, do I just need 5 of the VW wires (part number 000 979 009) for the connector to do the 4 stalk OBC hack? Somewhere I read that no splicing is needed for 2001 and later since the gray connector (behind the instruments) uses the same size connector on as at the stalk (other) end of the wiring harness."
- YES you are correct

One dealer I asked about the stalk said the part number changed from 996 613 219 00 EAK to 996 613 219 10 EWC. Will I have any problems with the newer part number stalk?
- On my 2001 the part number is 996 613 219 00 EAK. The other part number might be for 2002 models with the matt finish (not sure)

I bought my stuff from Suncoast. I also heard they other day that they sell the wiring loom...you may want to check with them.

More info in the link below

OBC Hack Primer
Old September 10th, 2002, 12:24 AM   #3
Tool Pantsİ

Re: OBC hack parts? -- please help me TP!

I started the BMW part when Porsche raised the price.

61-13-8-365-304 and 61-13-8-365-302. Need to order the connector and cover - so wait.

All wires are not made the same. Follow Peter's instructions and get 3 of the 09 wires and 2 of the 10 wires.

The 4 stalk switch assembly for you is 996 613 219 00 EAK

There is a difference in the 2 types of wires - but it is very hard to see or to tell the wires apart. At my dealer they have both style wires mixed up - they now give me the box and I pick out what I want. 09 has one smooth side.

Old September 12th, 2002, 08:06 AM   #4
Magic Mtn Dan

I have two wiring harnesses left (just found them)...

and they're for sale. Drop me an e-mail if you're interested.
Old September 12th, 2002, 07:20 PM   #5
Geoff in Malibu

Re: I have two wiring harnesses left (just found them)...

Too late for me. I ordered all the parts to make a harness from Suncoast the other day. And to correct a misconception, they do not have an OBC kit with pre-made harness. Suncoast had all the parts I needed (I think), including the VW wires. I ordered extra wires since there seems to be some disagreement among OBC hack experts as to the correct wiring for 2001 model Boxsters. I'll post complete details of my experience after it's all put together and working...

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman