Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #1
swisdom

Unhappy New owner of '01 Boxster S; crazy, baffling problem with driver's seat

Greetings,

My '01 Boxster S, which I bought used just 10 days ago, has a baffling problem. As I was driving home today from work, I heard a humming/buzzing sound, like a small electric motor, coming from the driver's seat area. Then when I got up out of the car, the seat 'exploded', with the seat-back popping loose from the seat frame. Under the seat back are two air pouches, about 6" square each, fully inflated (for what purpose? I have no idea), connected respectively to a blue and a red plastic hose (for inflation?). These inflated pouches keep the seat-back from being re-seated, and the humming/buzzing has continued for hours, with the motor off (I'm concerned it will drain the battery, whatever it is). I'll call the dealer I bought it from tomorrow, but the car's out of warranty and I'm not sure what I can work out. Can anyone offer a guess as to the nature/magnitude/cost of this? Has anyone seen this before? If it matters, I have the heated-seats option.

Thanks, SW
swisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Sorry to hear about your problem.

The inflated bags are part of the lumbar support option. It sounds like the noise you may be hearing is the air pump that inflates the bags. The switch to control them is on the side of the seat with the other electric seat controls. You might check to see if the switch (it's the round looking one) is stuck in a fixed position.

BTW - you can gain access to the area of the bags and heating by grabbing the center section near the top and lifting up a bit. This will allow it to be 'unhooked' from the frame that holds it in place.

It sounds like the worst case scenario would be that the air pump for inflating the lumbar bag would need to be replaced though it seems like a faulty switch is more likely. I guess it could also be a shorted wire that caused the motor to run though a short would normally cause the fuse to blow.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #3
swisdom

Tom,

Thanks!

That was it exactly. I must have nudged the lumbar control by mistake whilst fiddling with the other seat-movement levers, and it got jammed open. I got it to shut off and now I just have to re-assemble the seat when I have some time. This lumbar support is a "feature" I could live without; it's easy to turn it on by mistake and very sensitive.

Best, SW

ps/ In my first week of driving (coming from a 328 BMW) I'd echo the comments of others that it's useful (necessary?) to run the Boxster at higher rpm's than "feels right". Will take some getting used to on my part.
swisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #4
rayray

Quote:
ps/ In my first week of driving (coming from a 328 BMW) I'd echo the comments of others that it's useful (necessary?) to run the Boxster at higher rpm's than "feels right". Will take some getting used to on my part.

Is this comment true?? I would of thought the opposite??
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

It really depends on your driving style and the circumstances at the moment. I normally drive with the revs under 3K or 4K around town. However if I'm doing more spirited driving the 4K and above is certainly the place to be as things are much more responsive. That said, if I'm just tooling along I'll even be down under 3K.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman