Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #1
jvaski

Question Dry Starts with Blue Smoke

Have a 2001 Boxster with 35k mi. Used 5/40w Mobile 1 for 30k service.
Have what sounds like timing chain rattle and blue smoke after long storage.
Is this normal after long peroids of vehicle storage ??
Dealers recommend 0/40w Mobile 1 , service shops recommend 15/50w synthetic oil.
Most of my driving is in the mountains at Tahoe, some occasional trips to coast. Should I go to 15/40w Mobile 1 ???
jvaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Dr. Zoom

Does the smoke happen on each startup or was it a one time event? A puff of smoke (sometimes fairly large) from time to time is considered normal due to the flat-6 design. If you have constant blue smoke (lots of it) then you may have a failing or failed oil separator. In the latter case don't run the engine as you'll wind up getting oil residue everywhere in the engine.

As far as the oil goes the normal factory fill these days is 0W-40 but your car probably came from the factory with 15W-50 and may even have a sticker with that weight on it. If you're in the mountains the 0W-40 will be fine - and may be preferred if you drive when it's cold in the mornings.
Dr. Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #3
jvaski

Thanks Dr Zoom. No, the blue smoke only comes at first start after the vehicle has been sitting for weeks. The timing chain rattle also only does this after weeks of no starting. Are the tensioners draining over time and causing this ? Is there a way to crank the engine without starting it to get oil pressure first ? Otherwise the car runs great when used more repeatedly and doesn't use oil.
jvaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #4
danger14

I had a chain like rattle, someone told me the tiptronic had not gone into gear properly.

Stew
danger14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman