Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 9th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #1
jvaski

Mobil1 15/50W - One More Time !

Sorry to do this one more time folks....
My 2001 Boxster has 53K Mi on it and it's for sale.
It occasionally smokes a little oil very briefly and has a very brief lifters rattle on cold start after sitting for days or weeks.
The original owner broke it in with 15/50W oil in warmer climate up to 30K Mi when I brought it to cooler climate and changed to 10/40W Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Now that I'm selling it I want to go back to the owners manual recommended 15/50W Mobil 1 to hopefully give a new owner a quieter cold starting experience with less frequency of blue smoke puff if left for extended periods.
(It's really difficult to explain to a buyer that occasional blue puff and lifter rattle is normal on cold starts after extended non-use)
Anyone have any comments on this stupid re-hashed issue ?
jvaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #2
mikefocke

Cause and effect

If you were in Phoenix maybe. But not in the NoCal area.

0W40 is what Porsche recommends for general use. Try that and see if the lifters don't pump up quicker.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman