Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 30th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #1
Boxster Ben

Hot lap timer...where to buy?

Hey folks...I'd like to invest in a decent hot lap timer before my next DE...anyone know of any local outlets selling same...ease of installation is certainly a consideration...or anyone had particularly good luck with a certain brand or model? I would appreciate your advice. Ben in Pleasanton.
Old June 30th, 2002, 05:44 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

D2 Performance was selling them.

Dan may still have some. I will also be happy to loan you mine so you can try it out prior to spending any $$$. If Dan doesn't have any or can't get one in time for your needs then just do a web search on "hot lap timer" and you'll get a pretty long list of vendors.

BTW - I've got a tire pyrometer you and the rest of the Babblers attending the event can borrow if you like.
Old June 30th, 2002, 06:12 PM   #3
Trygve Isaacson

Re: Hot lap timer...where to buy?

Ben, since you asked about brands... the Longacre "Hot Lap" is the brand/model you're probably best off with, because it's the most commonly used -- you can just get a receiver and display because someone else is bound to have already set up a transmitter at track events you attend. There are two models of the Hot Lap system. One has a smaller box for the display unit, the other has a slightly larger box for the display unit. The only functional difference is whether the 9V battery goes in the display unit or the IR receiver unit, and which one you prefer to open to change the battery.

There is another brand, Intercomp, which from what I have heard is definitely a better system (but similar in function). However, you are more likely to need to buy both a receiver and transmitter because it's not as widely used, and thus you may need to set up your transmitter at the track if no one else has one.

If you don't have time to get one shipped from D2 Performance or wherever else before the event, you should be able to pick one up locally from Wine Country Motorsports which is located at Sears Point Raceway.

Below is a link to Longacre's Hot Lap catalog page. Note that you would probably want to get the equivalent of item #21707 or #21708 (a standard or compact display, with a receiver, but without a transmitter).

Longacre Hot Lap
Old June 30th, 2002, 07:46 PM   #4
Boxster Ben

Thanks for the tips!!! *NM*

Old July 1st, 2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Magic Mtn Dan

We have them in stock ready to ship out

and you can't beat the price!

(we have a few Longacre Hot Lap Timers left from a previous order; they're ready to go...)
Old July 1st, 2002, 07:46 PM   #6
BerryS

Do you sell the Intercomp product?

And if so, how much?

Thanks in advance,

BerryS
Old July 2nd, 2002, 03:21 PM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Nope, just the Longacre HLT's - we have a handful of them in stock &

on sale (discounted discount prices)

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman