Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 31st, 2006, 03:30 PM   #1
baxter

Oil Change Schedule

I was wondering what other opinions are, but my dealer says not to bring my '05 S in for the first oil change until 10,000 miles, and I know in my maintenance schedule it says 20,000 miles. I understand that we are using synthetic oil, but does anyone disagree with 10,000 miles? I have been an every 3,000 mile guy all my life, so this is hard to pass that mark in my Baby. I guess I am just paranoid, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:46 PM   #2
vabeach

Like you, I also have an '05 S with 1,800 miles. Dealer told me to stick to the 20,000 mile service/oil cycle; but to rotate tires every 3,000 - 5,000 miles.
vabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

Well, 3K on synthetic would be a bit early. However on my 2K S the interval was 15K miles or one year. Note that that schedule is for "normal" driving - whatever that is

When I was taking my car to the track I would do oil changes at 8,500 miles instead of 15K. Personally, I'd be hard pressed to do changes at 20K intervals unless I wasn't planning on keeping the car for the long term. In that case I really don't care how much engine wear there is for the next owner

One thing to keep in mind is that the longer oil change intervals are intended to reduce the perceived cost of owning a vehicle and are sufficient to get it through the warranty period with no damage. While Porsche is pretty good about providing "goodwill" service to original owners that have maintained their vehicles it doesn't normally pass on to follow-on ownership - perhaps that's different if the car is CPO.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:01 PM   #4
CBoxster

You might not want to rotate those tires, different sizes front and back, unless your tires are of the same size. Just a thought.
CBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:12 PM   #5
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Not only are they different front and back, but many tires are unidirectional which means you have to dismount / remount to rotate left to right. I have had my Yokohama ES100's since 9/03 (28k miles) and I've yet to rotate. $650 for the set, I can't complain, but baby does need a new pair of shoes pretty soon.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #6
clee447

Regarding the "or one year" time frame, my '05 is aproaching the 1 year mark but still only has just under 6,000 miles. My "normal driving" is, at best, "spirited" up here in the wine country. Should I still change the oil at 1 year? I had originally planned to change at 10K miles.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Uncle Bob

The suggested interval is 1 year from my dealership.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...arBoxster2.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #8
bapcha

20,000 Miles or 2 years - whichever is earlier.....

That's what my book says, and I:

a. Plan to keep my car for a long time.
b. Follow the maintenance schedule that is mandated by the book.

Then again, mine is a daily driver that is rarely pushed above 5K rpm [only during the weekends during "spirited driving"], and I do not track my car [nor do I plan to].

I figure Porsche has spent over $500M testing out any new model, and even the 20K miles, 2 years is a "conservative" figure.

Unless Porsche has a blurb that says "20K/2years minimum, 10K/1 year recommended", I do not plan to service it till it is 20K or 2 years from the date that I bought the car.

Is there something wrong with me ???

Bapcha
2005 Base 987 - Seal Gray, BLK/BLK, Bose, etc.
bapcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Tom M
Site Founder

Your Owner's Manual also likely says...
If the conditions you drive your vehicle in are dusty, humid, or hot the frequency of the oil change intervals should be greater.
The manual also states...
If your vehicle is frequently used in stop-and-go in cold weather, the engine will not always be properly warmed up. Condensation from products from combustion may accumulate in the oil. In this case, it is advisable to change the oil more frequently so that your engine once again has 100% efficient engine oil.
For the most part, if you commute in your vehicle and have any stop-and-go traffic then you should probably be following the more frequent oil change interval.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:56 PM   #10
bapcha

But Tom - I'm not sure that there is a "more frequent" recommended interval in the manual. What I am looking for is:

1. Recommended intervals [which is 24 months or 20K miles for a 987/997].

(b) a schedule for the "more frequent" oil change interval. My question is whether this interval is 18 months/15K miles or 12 months/10K miles for a 987/997.

I'm sure that for about a dollar in electronics [to measure the impedance of the engine oil], and a few lines of software, it'll be plenty easy for Porsche to tell us when exactly to change the oil [like they do on the V6 Cayenne].

Keeping things simple, is the "aggressive" interval 12mo/15K-mi or is it 18mo/15K miles ?

Thanks !
Bapcha
bapcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman