Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 30th, 2001, 10:00 AM   #1
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Followup to the Spoiler Saga

When I got home on Saturday my spoiler was in the still in the up position after having manually raised it and driving home from the A-B tech session. I left it that way. I drove into work today and never got the to spoiler "up" speed. When I arrived at the office the spoiler was down. Interesting.
Old July 30th, 2001, 10:30 AM   #2
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: Followup to the Spoiler Saga

I had a similar experience this weekend.

I raised the spoiler as I was driving though 30MPH traffic. I got on the freeway and broke 75MPH. When I parked, the spoiler was still up. Later, I again got on the freeway (spoiler still up from before) and broke 75MPH. When I parked the car the spoiler was down.

Could it have to do with whether you're parked or moving when you manually raise the spoiler?

Yoseif
Old July 30th, 2001, 10:36 AM   #3
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Maybe. I was in traffic when I raised it

when leaving A-B.
Old July 30th, 2001, 01:11 PM   #4
Lee in Rochester, NY

This is why we all need to install Sandy's spoiler light hack! *NM*

Old July 30th, 2001, 02:39 PM   #5
Magic Mtn Dan

The key with the rear spoiler is that...

it's up when it should be (over 75MPH).

While we have yet to figure out the behavior of the rear spoiler in terms of going down (after it's been manually deployed), it doesn't matter below 75MPH whether it's up or down.

I personally don't worry about it enough to install a spoiler indicator light. I am comfortable with the factory's design and believe it will deliver the downforce needed when the time comes.

In the meantime, I am curious to know when it's retracted after we've raised it manually. Based on what we've seen so far issues like raising it when the car is on or off or moving or stopped could be involved (the computer is capable of dealing with many if/thens). And the number of driving "cycles" (starting the car, driving it, stopping it) could certainly be a factor as well.

As long as the thing goes up when it should, it doesn't really matter but it'd be cool to know the logic.
Old July 30th, 2001, 06:34 PM   #6
Sandy

You've duplicated the way my 996's spoiler functions...

My '99 C2's spoiler operates this way: If you manually extend the spoiler, it REMAINS EXTENDED no matter how many times you go above and below either 40 mph, or 70 mph. Once you turn off the ignition however, the NEXT time you start out and go above and below 40 mph (not 70), the spoiler will retract.

I always thought the 986 operated the same way, but never had enough info to verify it. Since you can see the lip of a 996's extended spoiler through the rear window on a coupe, it's easy to determine when the spoiler is in operation.

BTW, the 996 spoiler actually STARTS to deploy at 70 mph. It takes a few seconds to get fully extended and consequently most 996 owners think it deploys at 75 mph.

I think there MAY be one major difference between the 986 and 996 logic inside the instrument cluster. On the 996, the spoiler does not start to retract until 40 mph. I have verified this by slowing to slightly above 40 and maintaining that speed (just in case there's a time delay involved). The spoiler stays up until the second I drop below 40 mph, then it retracts. I have heard that the 986's spoiler retracts at a higher speed... true??
Old July 30th, 2001, 06:45 PM   #7
Tool Pants

Boxster is up at 75 and down at 50

and my spoiler takes about 3 seconds to go up.

The one exception was on a Boxster drive a few months ago and on the car in front of me the spoiler went down sooner than all the other Boxsters in front me.

Jeff

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman