Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 24th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #1
Piper

Question Bridgestone or Michelin Tires?

I am looking for a few opinions I am currently in need of new tires for my 2001 Boxster and can not make up my mind. I tired the Good Year F1 and hatted them I would equate them to driving on jello! It is now its time for new ones that are ready for spirited street driving. I would like some input from those of you that have had either or both of the tires.

Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A

or

Michelin Pilot Sport Rib

These will be going on the 17 inch wheals. Thanks for your input.

P.S. On principal I am a little shy of the Michelins but will not exclude them!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2
boxs2000

I would recomend the Bridgestone SO3 they have awesome grip and is quiet. As far as wet weather, I cant really tell you since I do not drive my car in the rain. Check tire rack they also have a good customer rating or feedback section

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

I've got S03's on my car and they do fine in the wet as well as the dry. If you're not going to track your car I'd tend to stay away from the S02A as others have reported them to get quite noisy as they wear.

I also had Pilot Sports on my car and was quite happy with them for wet/dry street use.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4
KenJ

A new player...

is the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07. If you're looking for spirited driving, they're rated (TireRack) as the highest dry traction street tire available and beat the Goodyear TA KDs in their AX test. They have a massive tread block - I'm currently evaluating these myself. After a few AXs, I'll report back to the group.

However, you've got two very good options in either the SO3s or possibly Michelin PS2s for those 17" rims... I've used both and was very pleased with both... if pushed to pick, I'd lean towards the SO3s as they're symetrical and can be rotated inside out for longer wear.

Just maybe - throw in the Kumho MX as the best bang for the buck tire.
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Grantsfo

I just finished 15,000 miles on my S03s. They are a good tire with plenty of grip.

I replaced them with Falken Azenis Sport RT615 tires. 255/40/17 in rear and 225/45/17 in front. They grip better and feel just as good as the SO3s at a much lower cost. I dont think I'll get 15,000 miles however. Lucky if I get 10,000.

I agree with you on the Good Years - those tires just dont feel right, but they do grip well.
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Gary Di Mauro

I plan on trying the BFGoodrich KDW-2's on my Boxster in the next few weeks. I had them on my last car which was a Z28, and I thought they had a great feel. They lasted about 25,000 miles, and the Z28 is a pretty heavy car. Like KenJ mentioned, I also look at tire rack's tests to try to find out how the tires do on lap time, G-Force and slalom. Unfortunately, they tested the Yokohamas on a BMW, and the KDW-2s on a Lexus IS300. I would have been great to see that comparison. The KDW-2s pulled .98 Gs dry cornering on a Lexus, imagine that tire on our fantastic handling Boxsters! They are reasonably priced too, around $150 for the fronts, and $200 for the rear. Here is the link to the test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...h=true&index=5
Gary Di Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.