Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 18th, 2001, 07:59 PM   #1
Catalog Guy

How to mount Hot Lap timer?

I think that several of you have the Hot Laps. I have read on the BRB that there are many ways to mount the receiver and some folks have made some interesting sunshades, etc.

1. Who locally has done this and has experience to share?
2. Who locally wants to work together on mounting the receivers?

Andrew
Old June 18th, 2001, 09:31 PM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Re: How to mount Hot Lap timer?

Take out your hoops' windscreens (and your floor mats and your loose change, and any other stuff) and mount the Hot Lap Timer Receiver to the rollbar on the passenger side (or driver's side - it needs to be on the side of the car aimed toward the Hot Lap Timer transmitter that Todd Serota puts at the track). The Hot Lap Timer Receiver can be mounted on the inside rollbar hoop if desired - it just needs to be aimed at approximately the height of the transmitter.

Use wire ties supplied with the Hot Lap Timer (and you should carry extras). You might also want to bring some extra Velcro if you want to stick the display to the Batwing or elsewhere). Also bring extra batteries, and racer's tape.

We made sunshades out of cardboard to shade the Hot Lap Timer's receiver from the low winter sun (last winter). I doubt that will be necessary at T-hill in July but if it is we can do it there.

Old June 19th, 2001, 07:35 AM   #3
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Another way...

I used to have a lot of problems with the sun interfering with the receiver. (Two weeks ago at Thill, people were still having problems with the sun washing out the signal from the transmitter.) These days I mount the receiver below the passenger sun visor - as far to the inside as possible. All it takes is two very large zip ties (or you can gang up the smaller ones.) The cable can be easily routed into rubber door molding, then to the display.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman