Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 30th, 2001, 12:03 PM   #1
oggie

New Hack Idea -- Alarm Related

When I arm my alarm using the remote, the front and rear signal lights blink, but not the side marker lights. Since the front signals are set deep into the light pods, you can only see that they blinked if you're standing directly in front of the car. It would make a lot of sense if the side marker lights also blinked, since you're more likely to see them as you walk away from the car. So, has anyone figured out a hack to make the side markers blink to indicate the alarm is armed?
Old June 30th, 2001, 12:46 PM   #2
Lemmy Caution

Easily done -

All that is necessary is to switch the lead for the side marker from the pin that carries voltage for the parking lights to the pin carrying voltage for the parking lights.

I forget the pin numbers involved. Maybe someone will post them before I have time to find the info.
Old June 30th, 2001, 01:25 PM   #3
Oscar

Not with those instructions...??? *NM*

Old June 30th, 2001, 02:48 PM   #4
Sandy

If you do it the way I think you mean...

...be aware that the side marker lights will not be illuminated when you have any of your exterior lights on. They'll only illuminate when the turn signal is flashing. See my response to Jeff, below, in the "New Hack Idea" thread.

However, I do have another possible solution which I need to check out thoroughly before I pass it along.
Old June 30th, 2001, 06:04 PM   #5
Lemmy Caution

That's all the instruction I was given

Jamey and I figured it out when we put clear sidemarkers on my car.

All one needs to do is trace the leads and switch the pins. True, your side marker lights will flash when you signal a turn.

The other solution is to install an amber LED into the side marker and run a lead to the flasher pin on the main lighting connector(back of each headlight).

I'll search my email and see if I can find the complete -pin by pin- details.
Old June 30th, 2001, 07:19 PM   #6
Sandy

I believe what Oscar was referring to, is...

...you've repeated a couple of words ("...carries voltage for the parking lights to the pin carrying voltage for the parking lights.").

In any case, the instructions in the mod. you usually see posted, tell you to move the wire leading to just the fender-mounted side-marker light, away from the parking-light wires and connect it to a pin which has wires leading to the turn-signal light. The wires are not actually "swapped."
Old July 1st, 2001, 12:43 PM   #7
Lemmy Caution

Thanks - I was in a hurry yesterday

And my post was a non-sequitur. I was in a hurry to replace my rear mudflaps and install my new GT3 console kit.

That said, I like the flashing sidemarker option. Jamey Rawlings and I have discussed installing amber LEDs in the sidemarkers to provide constant illumination but, I haven't done it yet.

By the way, I don't like the GT3 kit. I miss my storage bins.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman