Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 31st, 2001, 10:47 AM   #1
sharky

Oil uh-oh

Oops, I just overfilled my oil a bit. I understand this can be a very bad thing. So I ain't driving the car until I un-over fill it.

How can I go about this? TP?

Thanks
-Ed
Old October 31st, 2001, 11:04 AM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

If it's only a small amount then one way that Jeff

recommended was to drop the filter, empty the oil out, and replace the filter. This can lower the level about 1/2 qt. No need to drain/refill the whole thing.

Question: If you run the car till warm, then stop, then read the level after about a minute - where is it?
Old October 31st, 2001, 11:28 AM   #3
Catalog Guy

Small overfill is ok

At least each of the 3 oil changes done by Stead on my car have left the car with the e-gauge off the charts. Fortunately my car uses so much oil that this has never persisted for long.

Andrew
Old October 31st, 2001, 11:53 AM   #4
Tool Pants - Jeff Lopez

No big deal

Since the M96 motors have so many problems with leaky seals and gaskets, the oil is probably dripping out of your car right now. (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

I have talked to Peter about this and unless you put a few quarts to much it will not be a problem.

The BMW guys actually intentionally overfill their cars when on a track.

I'll take a look at it if you want.

Jeff
Old October 31st, 2001, 01:27 PM   #5
sharky

Re: No big deal

Thanks.

I added just 1/2 quart but the e-gauge is over the top. The stick is just over the top.

I'll be at the thing Nov 4th.
Old October 31st, 2001, 01:41 PM   #6
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

If it was down a ways and you only added 1/2 qt then

I agree with Jeff. Don't worry about it. Especially if it shows as being in range after the car is warm.
Old October 31st, 2001, 07:27 PM   #7
Tool Pants - Jeff Lopez

And, if it makes you feel any better Ed

Dave Hardin and I were at A-B today and told the Porsche shop foreman what you did, as this is a common concern. He said your warranty is now void.

Ok, he just laughed, no big deal. He thinks we worry too much about such little things.

If you really, really overfill, then it is possible for oil to be sucked into the intake and you will see smoke out the tail pipe.

When I did my oil change I put in almost 10 quarts, which is more than 8.7 called for a 2.5. I read 1 segment over the max. I could have been higher than one segment but the gauge only reads 1 segment over. 4k miles later it is right at the arrow.

Of course, this was on my original motor. (wink)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

Jeff

Old November 2nd, 2001, 12:38 AM   #8
Jay in SF

Thats what I like about the babblers

we're such a helpful bunch.

heeeheeeeheeee.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.