Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1
mkaresh

Porsche Cayman and Boxster reliability -- let's get better info

A few owners have contacted me, asking to include the Boxster in the reliability survey I conduct at TrueDelta.com. The key question: how common are IMS failures? Because of their interest, I'm making results for the Boxster and Cayman a top priority.

Here's how the research works: an email goes out once a month. If you have a repair, report it. If there have been no repairs, just report an approximate odometer reading at the end of the quarter--takes about 20-30 seconds four times a year.

We promptly update results quarterly, to closely track cars as they age.

Models are included in the survey once 25 owners sign up. Currently the 2000, 2005, and 2007 are each about halfway, and a few other years are not far behind.

To encourage participation, free access to all results, not just those for the Boxster, is provided to everyone who signs up to participate.

Details here:

Car reliability research
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #2
mkaresh

135 owners signed up so far. A good start, but we're going to need more participants to provide the information owners have been asking for.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
mkaresh

And now 183 signed up. We should be able to provide results for one or two model years in August.

That said, additional participants still needed for all model years.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

Car reliability research
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #4
mkaresh

Now 203. Two model years are now just over the minimum, and three are just short of the minimum. I should know in a few weeks if there will be any results in August--I hope so, but this will depend on the number of people who actually respond.

Car reliability research
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #5
mkaresh

And now 224. We should have some initial results in November. But it's going to be tight, and a few additional participants per year could make the difference between not having a result and having one.

Car reliability research
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #6
mkaresh

And now 256. A great start. Four years are now included in the survey, and another five are close.

Help us provide full results for all model years:

Car reliability research
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #7
patienttype

OK you've got one more, I just signed up.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #8
mkaresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienttype View Post
OK you've got one more, I just signed up.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Now 275 owners signed up.

We'll start previewing results to participants in a couple of weeks. We should have at least the 2000 model year Boxster in there. Others might make it, but it's going to be tight.

Car reliability research
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM   #9
mkaresh

And now 289.

We'll have the first reliability stats this month, but most will be partial results.

Today is the final day of the current survey, and the 1999 is a single response short of the minimum for a full result, while the 2000 is just two short. The 2001 was added to the survey a month too late to have enough data for a full result. With all three years we'll have full results in February (if not this month) if we had one or two more participants per model year--it's that close.

The 2005 is just a few responses short of the number needed for a full result.

Help us provide full results for your year:

http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #10
mkaresh

We have our first reliability stats for the Boxster that include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 138, worse than average

2001: 189, worse than average

2000: 163, about average

1999: 91, better than average

In all four cases the sample sizes were a few cars short of the minimum needed for a full result, so these are asterisked and visible only to members on the site itself.

The result for the 1999 is clearly inconsistent with the others. Such cases usually change in later updates.

I'd like to report specifically on the IMS failure rate, but we will need more participants to do this. A small number of IMS failures have been reported.

A big thank you toeveryone who has been helping. We'll have further updates, possibly including additional model years depending on the number of participants, in February and May.

Porsche Boxster reliability comparisons

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman