Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #11
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
We have our first reliability stats for the Boxster that include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 138, worse than average

2001: 189, worse than average

2000: 163, about average

1999: 91, better than average

In all four cases the sample sizes were a few cars short of the minimum needed for a full result, so these are asterisked and visible only to members on the site itself.

The result for the 1999 is clearly inconsistent with the others. Such cases usually change in later updates.

I'd like to report specifically on the IMS failure rate, but we will need more participants to do this. A small number of IMS failures have been reported.

A big thank you toeveryone who has been helping. We'll have further updates, possibly including additional model years depending on the number of participants, in February and May.

Porsche Boxster reliability comparisons
Is it possible that IMS failures are significantly overblown on the internet because owners that don't experience it aren't going to start a thread about "My IMS Hasn't Failed." Your results indicate what some of us have known all along The '99 Rocks!
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #12
mkaresh

Any objective reason to think the '99 would be better than later years?

IMS failures are definitely happening to a significant extent. Not to all cars, but probably to 10-20 percent of them. Some people think they happen to most cars, of course, in which case they're overblown. But some realize it's 10-20 percent, and still aren't comfortable with that.

I'm just looking to supply the numbers. Interpretations of said numbers will vary.
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #13
offshore

Quote:
Any objective reason to think the '99 would be better than later years?
Your stats.

IMS failures are definitely happening to a significant extent. Not to all cars, but probably to 10-20 percent of them. Some people think they happen to most cars, of course, in which case they're overblown. But some realize it's 10-20 percent, and still aren't comfortable with that.

I'm just looking to supply the numbers. Interpretations of said numbers will vary.
What are you basing the percent of failure on? Numbers supplied by Porsche? Your numbers? I have yet to see anything definitive to assign a percentage of failure to and would be interested in seeing a breakdown of failures to motors manufactured and further broken down by year and mileage. To me that would be something really definitive. Saying they are significant without the data to support it is hearsay.
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #14
mkaresh

A little better than hearsay, but not much better at this point. An educated guess based on the limited amount of data I have so far and the amount of discussion on forums. If and when I have an actual number I'll post a single number, not "probably" with a range. I do apologize if it seemed I had something more solid.
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #15
offshore

Quote:
A little better than hearsay, but not much better at this point. An educated guess based on the limited amount of data I have so far and the amount of discussion on forums. If and when I have an actual number I'll post a single number, not "probably" with a range. I do apologize if it seemed I had something more solid.
Here's what I would find helpful and factual:
Break the data down into years of manufacture, as an example take 1999.
How many Boxsters were produced and sold in that year.
Of those how many were manufactured in Finland and how many in Germany.
How many from the plant in Finland reported IMS failure and how many reported a failure but no specific data as to how.
Same for those manufactured in Germany.
Break it down into the type of motor from each plant i.e 2.5L, 2.7L, 3.2L by year.
Break it down to the number of miles on each motor from each plant to IMS failure and other reported failure other than IMS.
Now you're starting to get some data that is useful to an owner to make decisions. If I see that my 1999 Boxster, 2.5L produced in Finland with 77K mi. falls into a category with an IMS failure rate of 50% now I can make an informed decision to roll the dice and hope my Box is in the 50% non failure group or spend the $3K to upgrade the IMS bearing to an improved one vs. $15K for a new motor. Now that would truly be helpful data. By the way, I've been enrolled in your program since you started it and do support what you are doing but want the data to be useful and not a broad range of speculation so I hope what I've said here is constructive.
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #16
mkaresh

I could do most of this with enough participants. But not Finland vs. Germany, since we don't collect this information. Could in a special case, I suppose.

But would the location of assembly matter? Most likely the engines are all made in the same place, and are shipped from this place to both final assembly locations. Feel free to correct me if this is not the case.
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #17
offshore

Quote:
I could do most of this with enough participants. But not Finland vs. Germany, since we don't collect this information. Could in a special case, I suppose.

But would the location of assembly matter? Most likely the engines are all made in the same place, and are shipped from this place to both final assembly locations. Feel free to correct me if this is not the case.
I don't know if the motors are assembled in one place then transported as a unit or assembled on site but I'll try to find out. If you collect VIN numbers that should tell you the plant of origin or it is on the driver's side door tag I believe. Why this would matter would be if you found a higher number of failures coming from one plant compared to the numbers manufactured there. I would be willing to bet that Porsche has all this data stored somewhere and it is a shame that it can't be made public if they do.

Last edited by offshore; December 12th, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #18
hotrod356

I agree that Porsche most likely does have all this data stored, and have opted not to release it to the public, because who wants negative press anyway? I think this data would be interesting if reliable. You might have to quit your day job
hotrod356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #19
macsak

motors are all assembled in stuttgart

aloha

steve
macsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #20
ppbon

All of the motors were assembled in the same Zuffenhausen factory in Germany and then distributed to either Stuttgart or Uusikaupunki.
So, the final assembly plant has nothing to do with the RMS or IMS failures.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman