Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 17th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #1
Tool Pants

You missed my 4 years of Box Boards history - Dan is correct

Robert Grant the third or, whatever, jr, the clown w/ 100 empty posts a day on just one board, bashed the Babblers, Dan and I, when we tried to get started years ago. I do not know why you missed that part. Dan and I try to start a West Coast group with a single board - but it went nowhere.

Then RG starts his own board for SoCal a few years ago. The dead board.

But, you can always find me on the UK board.

Just Jeff
Old January 17th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #2
dennis in se pa

Re: I do not know why you missed that part.

I only bought my Boxster in August of 2001. I am sure I missed alot. FWIW I used to live in Santa Clara, worked at Spectra Physics in Mountain View. That was the late 70's. I have alot of relatives in Sunnyvale, but don't get out there much anymore.
Old January 17th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Loren

Dennis...

Dennis,

I worked for SP in the late 70's through 91 (mainly Houston and San Jose). Which group were you with? LPD?

Loren Cook
Old January 17th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #4
dennis in se pa

Re: Loren, I was in purchasing..

of sub contracted mechanical components and services. They were a "no holds barred" 100% quality shop back then. I don't know about now. They preferred to do everything in-house to control the quality, but they were so busy they were forced to out-source. I bought castings, stamped sheet metal, metal treatments such as annealing and anodizing, lathe work, and even paint and paint work. 10,000 gallons of S/W epoxy paint at a shot. I had no particular group that I worked for. They were the emerging bar code scanner producer at the time. I liked the fact that it was a quality focused organization. Herb Dwight was the "big dog" at the time as I remember. Coherent Radiation was a spin-off competitor. I enjoyed those days. The women of the area where contributants to my enjoyment, if I may say, without being thought of as a bad person. The TGIF in Sunnyvale was a favorite "haunt". If I had not moved back East and gotten married I surely would be dead by now. I loved the area, but I hated the traffic. It must be even worse by now.
Old January 17th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Loren

Re: Loren, I was in purchasing..

Yeah... Herb was the big guy (actually pretty nice). I was in Autolab and later held a matrix management position for cross-divisional service and support (prior to moving into marketing). You probably knew Dave Evans and Jim Schlater I worked for them both. Great company and people until the "poison pill". 3 buy-outs later I'd had enough.

Until recently we had SP reunion meetings (at a bar of course) every 3 months. I don't know why they stopped having them -- sometimes there were over a hundred folks there.

Traffic is worse... but we still have great weather
Old January 18th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #6
Patricia

Re: Another SP alum!

My husband worked for SP for over 15 years, starting in accounting in the mid-70s, eventually becoming corporate controller, and leaving when SP was taken over. We lived within walking distance of SP in Mountain View until 1980, when we moved to Los Altos. Bill went to the reunions until we moved to LA.

You're right, Herb Dwight is a very nice guy, and one of the most honest and ethical business leaders I've ever met.

Our 25th Anniversary laser sits in our living room; we actually had it on for a while this morning!

Pat, South Pasadena
Old January 18th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #7
dennis in se pa

Was the bar you mention the Longbranch Saloon?

It was right across the street from the Mountain View site. And yes it was a great place to work in the late 70's.
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:42 PM   #8
Eric in Dallas

Re: Hey TP...

what's the address for the UK board?
Old January 21st, 2003, 02:22 PM   #9
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: Hey TP...

Here's the link Jeff posted a few days back...

UK Boxster Forum

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman