Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 6th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Admin

It's absolutely amazing...

that we routinely have 30-40 people stop by on any given day and almost nobody has anything to say . Yet quite a few of these same individuals can talk your arm off at a Babblers get together .

Feel free to respond to this post with your reasons why you don't normally post. This includes all of you lurkers out there. We can all see who you are now, too .
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Alex Gonzalez

I know this will seem lame, but the registration process looked so time consuming that it was funner just to read than to post. After reading your request for info, I decided to register and go through the process. Although it is a little cumbersome for an impatient person, it truly is not a big deal and whatever other impatient people are out there should take the necessary 3.35 minutes and get registered so that they can post. I can tell you that every day when I come in to work, I look forward to see who has posted an about what. You get to know these people almost as if they were your friends that you grew up with. Even though you have never met. Interesting little community we have here. All about people that are in love with with their dreams and their Porsche.
Alex Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Mdreiver

It's part of my NY Resolution. I made a pact with myself to be less opinionated. I can't believe how often I let myself get suckered into an unwinnable argument over taste with some anonymous PPBB user. Well, it turns out the new me although probably more enjoyable to be around, has significantly less to say. hehe.

Actually, the bigger part of the truth is that I have always been a responder. I rarely start threads, but I chime in with my 2 cents when an interesting topic is underway. There have been a lot less interesting topics than normal recently.

But one other thing. Look back at the Top 40 data and you'll see that other than a few loudmouths (myself included) this board has always been quiet. It just takes a few key people to get chatty again before things take off.
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #4
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I've got a couple of posts under my belt, it just took a while to get used to the new format. The similarity between Babblers and PPBB made popping back and forth seamless and with Quick View, the site is much more friendly. I suspect as Boxsterfest approaches, the chatter will increase. I definitely stop by at least once a day (on work days )
Old January 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #5
Magic Mtn Dan

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumb ole Donkey
It's part of my NY Resolution. I made a pact with myself to be less opinionated. I can't believe how often I let myself get suckered into an unwinnable argument over taste with some anonymous PPBB user. Well, it turns out the new me although probably more enjoyable to be around, has significantly less to say. hehe.

Actually, the bigger part of the truth is that I have always been a responder. I rarely start threads, but I chime in with my 2 cents when an interesting topic is underway. There have been a lot less interesting topics than normal recently.

But one other thing. Look back at the Top 40 data and you'll see that other than a few loudmouths (myself included) this board has always been quiet. It just takes a few key people to get chatty again before things take off.

It would be great if you and the others would start posting responses and/or new threads.

I abhor this new format. I have no problem with change but this particular format/software is definitely NOT as good as others I see and use on the Internet. And anything that makes this place less user-friendly is, in my opinion, not good.

Since the format change there has been LESS activity. No matter what anyone tells me about how "this place has always being slow," it just hasn't been THIS slow. All one needs to do is take a look at the number of views of each thread - they're way off, MUCH LOWER than what we saw with the old format! (On the old format, a popular thread would end up with 200 or more views).

Unfortunately, thanks to the format change, this place has taken a step back which is something it just didn't need and may not overcome. Clearly, this place needs all the help it can get.

In any case, I am really losing interest in participating and while others may not view that as a bad thing I would hate to see what used to be a thriving forum wither and die...
I'm multi-tasking; I'm drinking beer and posting at the same time.
http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/...2BenXmas02.jpg
Magic Mtn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #6
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mtn Dan
I have no problem with change but this particular format/software is definitely NOT as good as others I see and use on the Internet.
Rather than continue to say there are others that are better - it would be of more value if you could point out a few examples.

Quote:
Since the format change there has been LESS activity. No matter what anyone tells me about how "this place has always being slow," it just hasn't been THIS slow. All one needs to do is take a look at the number of views of each thread - they're way off, MUCH LOWER than what we saw with the old format! (On the old format, a popular thread would end up with 200 or more views).
Last I checked - and you obviously don't believe the numbers - there has been no dramatic change in the amount of traffic that visits the site. Posting is only slightly down.

Quote:
Unfortunately, thanks to the format change, this place has taken a step back which is something it just didn't need and may not overcome. Clearly, this place needs all the help it can get.

In any case, I am really losing interest in participating and while others may not view that as a bad thing I would hate to see what used to be a thriving forum wither and die...
Contructive criticism is a good thing. The first part seems to be missing however. Instead of just saying that you don't like it why not say what you would like to see? And no, we're not going back to the old format.

As far as usability goes the Quick View layout (you are using that, aren't you?) is almost identical to the original WebBBS layout. The only thing it really lacks is the ability to identify which posts have pictures attached - and I'll be working on that in the near future.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
Rather than continue to say there are others that are better - it would be of more value if you could point out a few examples.

Last I checked - and you obviously don't believe the numbers - there has been no dramatic change in the amount of traffic that visits the site. Posting is only slightly down.

Contructive criticism is a good thing. The first part seems to be missing however. Instead of just saying that you don't like it why not say what you would like to see? And no, we're not going back to the old format.

As far as usability goes the Quick View layout (you are using that, aren't you?) is almost identical to the original WebBBS layout. The only thing it really lacks is the ability to identify which posts have pictures attached - and I'll be working on that in the near future.

Hi Tom (and others), thanks for asking. I've tried to be positive and give this new software a try but it's clearly not as good as that used on other sites I frequent.

I'm not interested in going back to the old software, I think change is good but only when it's an improvement. I'll give you some links to other sites that I think are using better (and they may be similar to each other) software.

Thanks for your hard work, time and effort - it is appreciated. Thanks too for your open mind.

Best regards,

-Dan

Links:

RiverRatLife - Hot Boats on the Colorado River/Lakes board

Club Avalanche - for the Chevrolet Avalanche owners and fans

Hot Boat Forums - operated by Hot Boat Magazine
I'm multi-tasking; I'm drinking beer and posting at the same time.
http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/...2BenXmas02.jpg
Magic Mtn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #8
Tom M
Site Founder

This is very interesting.

RiverRatLife uses UBB.classic.
Club Avalanche uses IPB.
Hot Boat Magazine uses an earlier version of vBulletin (we're using the current version of vBulletin).

I believe all 3 sites are set up using linear views.

So tell me, what is it you like about them vs. the current version being run here? The colors? The pictures?

While you are at it you might also address what it is specifically that you find so objectionable here.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #9
Steve B

Hi Dan, Tom & world

Like Dan, I would probably prefer the "original", but have to say that the new quicklook has gotten close and I'm happy with it.

I did look at the 3 alternatives Dan suggested and liked them less than the current version.

I think it was Kevin that made excellent points about high volume vs low volume boards. The quicklook definately helps our low volume needs and relatively narrow focus. The 3 alternatives seem better suited for high topic volume.

I'm also guilty of not being more active on the board lately.

Is adding a spell checker a possibilty?
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #10
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
Is adding a spell checker a possibilty?
Definitely. The earliest would be when the vb3 final release is available. Possibly another 4-6 weeks. At the moment I'm using ieSpell which works nicely - if you happen to be running Internet Explorer. One of the best parts about it is that it's FREE
'11 958 Cayenne S

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman